Phazer II ???????

RIVERRUNNER

I bought a 96 phazer for my wife and just went through the suspension for her, because it was new to us. (Bearings, plastic adjusters, springs, and shocks)Before I did this, it turned hard and I took off the hardend steel wear rods and installed 4" carbides. Now I adjusted the rear suspension to the softest setting for her(130 lbs in gear). We went out for a ride last night and it is still hard to turn and the carbides bite so hard that she gets stuck all the time on the pavement :o| :o|. My question is if I pick up the rear of the sled with the rear limiter strap will I take some pressure off of the rear skids????? I have the service manual but it talks in terms of comfort, not ski pressure!!!! Thanks guys
Oh and where should I grease the steering colum? Does anyone have any pics???
:letitsnow :letitsnow

There are two sets of bushings on the steering column one is behind and above the carbs and one in below.

I think if you loosen the front strap it will take presser of the skis but I'm not sure about that. some one will know for sure.
Silver

Adjust the front strap

Drop the front strap to take wieght off the ski's.

Do not know what hole setting you are in it but it sure sounds like someone
"sucked the strap" up to put lots of ski pressure on the ground.

My wife's sleds has been Phazers since they came out, (85-86-88-90-92 & 93) & we have been very pleased with them. Easy to work on, great mpg & dependable as hell & nice & light for her to ride.

Good luck with the strap, if that doesnt do it, well then, its got to be something in the suspension that is bound up or.......hmmmmmmm???

Rob :letitsnow

The front strap is set at the first hole and the back is set at the second hole. The first hole being all the way out. That is why I was thinking of picking up the rear beacause the front is all the way loose.....My carbides have at least 200 miles on them and they are not anything special. But man they bite...she can almost do figure 8's on the road.LOL

I read my manual a little, and I did say shorting the rear strap would reduce ski pressure. so you could try that. The only other thing I can think might have anything to do with this problem would be your ski alinement?

good luck!

Silver

Ski pressure???

When sitting on the sled, not moving the sled, how easy is it to just turn the ski's??

Am just curious how much wieght is sitting on the ski's when you are sitting still. If the sleds ski's are "biting" the ground that hard, I would think that you would have a real "stiff or resistent" feel to the handle bars when sitting still.

Hmmmmmmmmmm............???????????????

Well I just pulled up the rear limiter strap to the 3rd hole, 2nd hole is the stock position. I can move it with one arm now!! When sitting in my garage floor (level). Which is good. I think that I have solved my problem now but I will have to wait till I can get the wife back on the sled on a trail ride to see for sure......What size carbide do you run on your phazers? I am wondering if I just got too much bite with the newer carbides then the track can push??? I have a stock track that has about 3000 miles on it. I know that they were never anything much to start with!!!

I would think a set of 4" carbides would be perfect. the track is not studded is it? even if it were you should be fine with the carbides you have.

We run 4" carbides on my mom's 94 indy 500 and it has a .92" lugged track with 96 studs on it, and it steers nice and easy. different machine, but I remember both of the original type phazers I have ridden had no studs, original tracks, and 3-4" or carbide and they steered really easy. Granted my idea of easy steering is probably a lot different than your 130lb wife's.

I have 4" on my '94, skid is all on stock soft(for my daughter)settings with limiters out. no problems at all with steering,maybe ya got a steering shaft bush problem?

Check to be sure your front shock is not blown ? 4" of carbide is to much if you do not have studs . Phazer is one of the easiest turning sleds on earth .I have original service manual if you need info .

Ok so my original post states that the carbide bites to the point that she can do figure 8's in the road. The sled does not have studs....I just rebuild the entire skid and I mean the entire skid every thing that will wear.....including shocks... and yes I do have a service manual(thanks though MOTO). The reason that I went through the skid is the sled is new to me as of 1 year ago.(I bought it a haydays). It was set up as tight as the kid could get it when I purchaced it. So I have been working my way through the sled since. Getting rid of the hardener wear bars and sutch. I can turn the steering fairly easily now that I have the limiter strap in the rear in the thrid position. 2nd hole is stock in the rear. It is a 96 phazer with 5000 miles on it. I don't know much about the steering bushings other then some of them have bushings that go out, do to a lack of engineering or rather a lack of grease. I would really like it if I knew someone with a pic of where the weak spot is in the steering rods so I could be sure to look into it. Questions!!!!!

When you say you have the limiters out daman, what are they set at?? The skid I have set at the softest position.( meaning all the plastic adjusters are set as little spring pressure as possible.

I can say that my srx turns half again eaiser the her phazer does....and I have c&a ad models skis with 6 inchs of carbide.

Thanks for all the respones and all the advice......Rob!!!!!!!

Last edited:
With the front adjusters set on the lowest setting you are adding more ski pressure. Move the adjuster up a notch (stiffer). This will take more pressure off the skis. If it isnt enough go to the max position and try it. This will also give more weight transfer on take off so you may want to shorten the limiters again. With the sled sitting on flat ground how much slack is in the straps? You want some but not alot.

with the pazers ive own ive made sure when you lift the back of the sled and put it down that the track hit the floor even from front to back to get more ski pressure pull the front limiter strap up

RIVERRUNNER said:
When you say you have the limiters out daman, what are they set at??
just that there at there longest point posible,last holes,it was like that when i got it and never had a problem and when i rebuilt the skid last year i left it where it was..i don't have a prob with that sled, ski pressure seems fine the kids never complain about it.

One way to check your steering column bushings is to lift up and forword on the handle bars. if there is a ton of play that could be a problem.

Silver

Ok guys, I know I don't have a bushing problem, because a hung the sled today in the garage off the front bumper to look for play....It is real tight as far as play is conserned and it turns nice and freely. I have not been out for a ride with it yet because I took out the srx last night in the middle of a storm that droped another 20 " of snow :letitsnow :letitsnow :letitsnow :letitsnow But if I need to I think that i wll add a little more spring pressure to the front if it becomes a problem. I was told that she likes how soft it is riding!!!!!!! So I don't want to add to much spring rate........ I will get it firgured out and I will let ya know!!!!!!

If you add the spring to the front springs it wont affect the soft ride that much. The rear springs will do that if you add to them. If you add front spring tension it will fix the ski pressure problem.

Back