Should I stay or should I go (more phazer troubles)

JonIggy

Well, I don't know how many of you remember, but I posted a thread asking for help on my ficicky 1990 phazer II. Last year, the carbs gave me issues all season, which pretty much ruined my season. I thought I had it fixed, but the outlook does not look good. I started her up this season, and noticed that the left float bowl was leaking. I took them off, and all the plugs in both bowls were sitting at the bottom. Weird. I put them back in. The thing revs only to 4500. From my experiences last year, this means I put the plugs in wrong. I take the carb out, and put the plugs back in correctly. I re-install into sled. Now both bowls leak like hell, and the sled won't start at all. I am starting to question if snowmobiling is really worth it. I've spend three times more hours working on the sled than riding it, and it does not seem worth the time and stress. Should I just sell the stupid sled, or give it one more chance. I've already poured over a $100 into the carbs, and the frustration level is peaking. I have 9" of snow, and a no show sled.

Where are you....? Minnesota...?
I would get a new set of carbs like flatslides 38mm...You can find them for like 60 bucks and will improve the ride as well....Nick

The plug on the bottom of the float bowl which holds the main jet has been Overtightened and distorted the bowls. Take them back off, lay the float bowls face up on a flat surface then, with a brass/wood rod large enough to cover the hole, take and give them a rap with a hammer to straighten. Ps. the MJ holder's have a brass ring which allows them to seal with out being overly tight.

Carbs

I have a set of flatslides from a 500 Vmax, I think they are 36mm with the cables for $ 65.00 + shipping. Let me know. Sounds like 540 has the answer for you. Keep us posted. That should run good.

wow, thanks for the great replies! I am a first generations snowmobiler, so I'm making a lot of mistakes since I don't have help. I really tourqued the bowls on (oops). I'm replacing the gaskets and plugs in the bowl. Can you explain to me in further detail how to straighten the bowls? I get lost around the "wooden rod" part. I apologize, but I don't understand what MJ means either.
So, if I get this thing running, is the sled reliable? Could I trust it to go on trails? I just haven't had it running well yet, so I'm concerned.

Hey man, I live in Avon, NY. I have three Phazers and tons of parts. If you need a hand with this problem or if you need new bowls( I think I have two sets of carbs sitting around), or anything else Give me a ring! 226-6874

And YES they are great little sleds!

Silver

wow, thanks for the offer! If I don't get her going soon, I might be seeing you in the near future. I rememer seeing a 91' phazer in Avon for sale for awhile. Is that yours?

If your thinking of the one that was on the side of 5 & 20, No I do not own that one. The one I got was not out for sale so to speak.

1-5" tomorrow morning Hoping, Hoping, Hoping.

JonIggy said:
I really tourqued the bowls on (oops). I'm replacing the gaskets and plugs in the bowl. Can you explain to me in further detail how to straighten the bowls? I get lost around the "wooden rod" part. I apologize, but I don't understand what MJ means either.

Think of how the bowls are bent upwards in the center from the bottom.
You need to bend the area around the hole in the bottom back down. Lay the bowls upright on a flat surface. A rod or cylinder of an inch to maybe an inch and a half in diameter would work. It should be flat. Place it in the bowl in the center and hit it with a hammer. A ball pein hammer in the bowl hit with another should work (wear safety glasses/goggles or your helmet with the shield down, hard steel can chip). Not too hard, it won't take much. Pick the bowl up and see if the bottom looks flat. Repeat if necessary until it is straight and flat. If it is bowed out slightly, that is okay.

MJ = Main Jet - the jet at the center of the bowl.

If you did not store it with the carbs empty or use fuel stabilizer, that may be the cause of the low RPM. If so, the carbs will have to be cleaned.

Very reliable

JonIggy said:
So, if I get this thing running, is the sled reliable? Could I trust it to go on trails? I just haven't had it running well yet, so I'm concerned.

Once you get your carb tuned up you will be very happy with the phazer, it is a bullet proof engine, nice and light sled for playing in the deep snow and great on gas and oil.

It is important to torque the heads and cylinder bolts on the 485 Phazer engine once a year. I have a 1989 Phazer with approx. 27,000 kms and the engine has never been opened. Yes the compression is low now but still runs great. I use it mainly around home and with the kids. My Dad bought this sled brand new in 1988, I will never sell it.

What is the correct fuel line size from the pump to each carb? I believe I have 1/2 inch, but they are loose, and I have to clamp them really tight. They don't leak, but I'm not too comfortable with them.

Back