1989 xlv

cooper30

Website
www.familycanoeing.com
I've been searching all over the web, but can't seem to find much on this model.

I'm going to go look at one that's for sale for $450. Does anyone know of any particular problems with this model?

I've had an '86 Phazer, and '87 Exciter, and a '96 Vmax, so I'm not unfamiliar with Yamaha sleds, I just never paid any attention to this type of sled.

Are parts hard to come by for the older models sleds?

Also, he told me there is no key for the electric start. I know it can be pull started, but is there an easy (read cheap) way to replace the ignition so my wife can use the electric start?

Thanks in advance,
Ted

Yeah, you don't see too many XLV's.

Kinda a weird looking sled IMHO, but for 450 what the heck.

There is a nice looking used one next to a nice used 00+ srx for sale by me.

I would think that you could easily replace the keyswitch with a different one, or a stock replacement one for cheap, and easy electric start, provided the battery is good. You should be ale to easily get at the switch, but I have never looked at the eengine of an XLV to be certain.

If I'm not mistaken, it has the same motor as the SRV (535cc), just a single carb and set up a little differently since it's a two-up cruiser.

I'll post whether or not I get it. I figure if it runs decently, it's worth $450. If nothing else, it'll make a good ice fishing sled for my seven year old and me.

I can't believe I've reached to point in my life where I'm getting a two-up sled.... :D

Last edited:
cooper30 said:
If I'm not mistaken, it has the same motor as the SRV (535cc), just a single carb and set up a little differently since it's a two-up cruiser.

I'll post whether or not I get it. I figure if it runs decently, it's worth $450. If nothing else, it'll make a good ice fishing sled for my seven year old and me.

I can't believe I've reached to point in my life where I'm getting a two-up sled.... :D

sounds about right. and SRV mill with 1 carb. Should be a solid sled.

You know, just a month ago or so, we purchased the venture in my sig.
the Gf and I would end up renting a fan cooled (no other choice) 2 up for at least 1 weekend a year, and this year I had enough of throwing money away on a slow rental. this 600 98hp venture has enough get up an go for the 2 of us, already tested the day the pic was taken on Turkey day. SRX skis,a nd a talelr lugged studded track will transform it to performa bit better for my use. Heck, this venture at 98 hp has like 33hp more than the 550cc FC skidoo's we have rented.
Plus, after the 2 up REV chassis we rented last season, we were pissed.
The REV makes a horrible 2 up sled.

That sounds cool.

I'm still not sure about the two-up thing, but we don't have the cash to buy sleds for the whole family, so this will work for now. Used sleds are a dime a dozen around here, so the plan is to pick up another next year.

I've been trying to remember what I know about the XLV, and I think it's a fan cooled sled. Speedo on the handlebar (like the SRV), and leaf spring front.

I haven't had a fan cooled sled since my 86 Phazer (which I bought in 86 when I was 16). Since I don't plan on too much hard core riding, I think we'll be okay.

Being a fan sled, it should be light enough to throw in my pickup and pull out at different lakes. My wife likes to ride while I'm fishing, and it should be easy enough for her to handle as well.

I sold my trailer along with the Vmax two years ago. It's kind of ironic because this fall we sold our house in the city and moved to a place with a major trail right behind it.

In addition to the Yamahas, I've had a couple ZRs and an MxZ over the years. I lost my edge around 30, so I'm now looking at family style rides.

Thanks for the replies. :)

Ted

Sled

You need a tilt trailer or a ramp to get the TANK on a trailer. There will be NO throwing that thing anywhere. My brother-in-law once owned one. Yes it has the 540 fan and leaf springs and has a huge trunk. I remember my in-law grunt'n real bad when we put his IN his truck. Great ice fish'n sled !!!

Hey Cooper,

Just noticed you live in Maine.

I used to live in Bethel back in 99-00. Awesome trails out there although I never had any of my sleds out there when I lived there, so I never did ride the trails.

Back