how much track speed?

yz125mm700

i just had a quick question for you guys. i have a 2000 mm700 with some basic mods, headgasket mod, boost bottle, dyno port can, reed spacers, and i put a 144 on it. my problem (i think its a problem) is when we go out to west yellowstone and i am climbing or boondocking all the track speed i can get out of it is around 30-40mph! when im on the trail it works fine other than it over revs to about 9000. is this normal?

oh yeah im going to clean the clutchs to becuse i havent done that in a few years. all i did last year was spray them off with compressed air and then wipe them clean. i havent dissasembled them to clean them.

Based on your mods I don't think those speeds are out of the ordinary for climbing in pow on a steep hill. At 9000 you're over your peak power by 500 or so rpms (does it pull that rpm on the hill as well or just on the packed trail). A little more tip weight will pull the motor back down and may help increase your track speeds.

I would agree that those track speeds aren't completely unreasonable, but they could be better if your over turning your r's and haven't taken the clutches apart to clean for a few years. Both of these things are huge in keeping up performance.

rpm's: Like Ryan said, add some weight to the primary and try to get them closer to your peak rpm. I don't know what peak is on a MM, but from what Ryan said I would assume about 8500. I have my sled set up to over turn the r's about 200 rpm on the trail, when I head up a hill in powder the load pulls them right into the sweet spot.

Clutches: Take those suckers off and clean them more, you'll be amazed what a difference it makes. I only take the primary off and clean at the start of the season, but I blow it out and use a green scotch brite pad on the belt surface several times a season. The secondary I always take apart and clean, once at the start and then about every fifth ride. Clean, smooth clutches = less resistance. I also clean the belt and rough up the side of it a little bit. Use warm, soapy water on the clutches, don't want any residue left on them from any type of cleaner/solvent.

You put on a 144, what track did it have before? You may be able to get a really nice increase in track speed if you didn't change your gearing. Do a search on this site and see what others with MM & 144 are running.

ok thanks guys, i also have a different set of weights with a different profile on them. i was reading Mrvipers article, mabye if i get the numbers on them someone could tell me how this would change things. MM's start life as a 141, so i didnt change it much. i did'nt think thats enough of a change to require changing gears.

Try changing the twist on your Secondary clutch to some where between 90 to 110, I bet your at about 70.
This should get your back shift to happen sooner and help you hold better track speed when climbing Imo.

Last edited:
yeah i am set at 70. my whole set up is this...8cr weights (AL .8 gram tip, steel 13.9 gram on the inside) yellow/white/yellow spring. secondary has a green spring set at 70% and a 38bv helix. so how much weight should i add to the tip? the next rivit up is 2.4 grams. would that be to much? i also have a set of 8df weights, silver primary and a green/white/green secondary. all of that came with the sled when i bought.

Back