Ultimax 3 or XS belt?

snow guy

I was wondering if I could run a 3 belt instead of the more expensive XS belt on my 05 Mnt Viper. The Carsile book does not list the 3 belt for my machine but in looking at the specs for the 138-4432U3 (Ulitmax 3) vs the XS805 the XS belt is 5/8" longer, 44 1/2 to 45 1/8, and the top width is 1/64 wider on the XS. If so what adjustments would I have to make?

Stick strickly to Yamaha's 8DN belts.They are the best.I had a Ultimax 3 belt and it sure didn't last long.Broke it in for 50 miles prior.Otheres have told similar stories.My belt blew apart,denting the footweel good and grabbing the speedo cable ripping it off the axle and winding it up good that I couldn't hardly open up the hood.Tried to save some money and it cost me at the end.They are a softer compound,not as hard as a 8DN belt.

Well the 8DN belt never blew apart in 50 some miles,switched to the Ult 3 and BAMM!!!!!!Many have told me the same stories,some blowing 3 to 4 of them.

The Ultimax 3 is not as hard as an 8DN, but I bet the XS is close to the 8DN. I've thought of trying one myself.[/QUOTE]
DON"T DO IT FAN!!!!!!!

I've run the ultimax 3 for the last 4 years - never had any problems - bought two and have been running them between the two. I have about 3500-4500 miles on them NO problems.

They also have a 1 year warranty on them.

I shredded an 8DN last year on my SX but I think it had something to do with pulling that Subaru out of a snowbank lol.

The Ultimax 3 is a great belt, the 8dn is good,but I get better pull and cooler running clutches with the Ultimax.One blown belt in about 15000 miles of riding and it was replaced under warranty with no questions asked.

You have to tune your clutches for whichever belt you choose. The different belts require different amounts of side pressure to keep from slipping. If you are adjusted properly and tuned for the conditions and belt you run, any of these belts should last. Any of them can blow by changing any one of the three items above.

I am in the anti-ultimax crowd. I blew 8 of them in one season on my MM600 a couple years ago. I never tried the XS because they werent out at the time. At least they replaced them but it was a bitch because I always had to carry 2 spares. It wasnt uncommon to blow 2 in one day. The sled NEVER blew a stock belt. Stick with the yammi belt IMO.

Ding said:
You have to tune your clutches for whichever belt you choose. The different belts require different amounts of side pressure to keep from slipping. If you are adjusted properly and tuned for the conditions and belt you run, any of these belts should last. Any of them can blow by changing any one of the three items above.
Good post, that sums it up better than anything that has been said on here so far.

I'm still looking for opinions if the 3 belt will work with some adjustment as necessary to the secondary of course. Being the XS is slightly longer what will I have to do if anything?

Stick with the Yami 8DN especially if you are riding powder.

I clean & align my clutched every year (sometimes twice depending on how much I ride).

I blew an Ulti-Max - wrecked my shroud, hole in the belly, etc. Will never use again.

I've run Ultimax belts for several years on two different MM and never had a problem, I have to agree with Ding and Swede on the issue.

Another option is the older and much softer Yamaha 8CH-17641 belt that was replaced by the 8DN. I have seen them for sale still. I believe Port Yamaha still carries them.

Mark

I ran ultramax 3 almost exclusively on my Mtn Viper and never had an issue once. They do allow for more adjustment in the secondary and I was running a clutch kit from Hartman.

On the other side my rideing partner's son schredded every 3 he put on his 900 Cat. Heat every time which goes back to correct adjustment.

Changed to a XS 805 after blowing the 8DN on a long haul down the lake, haven't had a problem with the 805 as of yet, but I also took the float out of the secondary when I changed the belt.

I was wondering about the float in the secondary. On all the two MM and now Viper I've owned they have all had float beyond what the specs call for but I have never tightened them up and can't relate any problems resulting from that. My thinking is by allowing the secondary to float it allows it to find its own center and be lined up by the belt and the primary rather than potentially restricting it by adjusting it tight according to factory specs. Any ideas on this?

Back