97 600 smart carb twin fouling

horkn

yeah, its a venture, but it is essentially a MM600 from 97...and I know this forum gets more action than the all other yami forum...

question is I have heard about a vent that is needed to be cleaned on the smart carbs to ensure proper jetting.

where is this, and how do you clean it?

my newly acquired 97 venture 600 smart carb keeps fouling plugs. the oil cable appears to be functioning as intended, and I did hear about belt dust plugging up smart carb vents.

does this sound like a cause?

we are running the ngk br9ecs plugs, and it has done this 2 times in under 100 miles.

the sled has like 5600-5700 miles on it.

there may be an atmospheric pressure sensor located behind the airbox. some of these smart carb models had some wires rub at the steering stop, causing a misread and making the carbs rich. check for damaged wires.

I will try that. At fleet farm, the br9ecs cost the same as the br9es, so I bought what the book recommended.

$1.95 each either way.

yep, serious.

$1.95 for the es or the ecs ngk plugs at fleet farm

the 98 manual I have electronically calls for the ecs, and not the es.

yamaha does not have an electronic manual for the 97 , but does have the 98 mountain max 600/ venture 600 manual on line.

My sled came with no manual, so I will go by the 98 manual.

I do not know whether the clutch guard says ecs or es. The sled is a half hour away, otherwise I would take a quick look.

Back