Sleigh/cutter designs?

moss

Website
www.youtube.com
Has anyone made their own Sleighs/cutters for hauling around gear? What kind of design have you found works best?

I am looking at making one out of 2x10's cut on an angle in the front, with plastic runners. about 2ft wide by 6ft long, top about 1ft deep. Need to figure out something tho for the tongue, and some sort of bearing and shaft.

The skimmers we use here are a solid teflon or UHMW bottom with the front curled up, and either a steel or aluminum square tubing frame approximately 12" high. For where we go to the mountains and camp out for the weekend or longer (cabins or wall tent set up for the season). A couple that I have are 6.5' long and 2 will fit underneath the sled deck between the truck wheel wells. We disconnect the hitches and place them under the tracks or slide them underneath the deck if they will fit. Hauls 4jerry cans, cooler or 2, gear bag strapped ontop cooler and the sleeping bag if its not at camp already. My group of buddies have a couple of bigger skimmers to haul camp in (8'x 3'). Some guys use the enclosed all plastic units sold @ CT but usually couldnt take a season on the rough trail until they started to groom it a few yearsa back.

Back