Toyota Tundra named Motor Trend's 2008 truck of the year

The good press for Toyota just keeps on coming. I see in this month's issue of Snow Goer they did a truck shootout and the Toyota Tacoma won for best midsize/compact truck and the Tundra won for best 1/2 ton.

Seriously the stupidest thing I have read was that ^ link....sounds like people that have nothing to do but cry....look into some of the GM and FORD issues or DODGES transmissions....they all have problems, some more than others. A lot of it is the dealer and there techs and the owners and how well vehicles are taken care of.....my SRX had a stuck PV when I bought it....the dealer in the UP put the wrong VALVE IN!!!!!! No bs! I couldn't believe it! Bottom line Toyota isn't selling soooo many cars because they are poorly made. Honest I own 3 at this moment and they have been great.

Their cars are mostly fine, the trucks are another story. I bought my 06 Tacoma based on previous experience with Toyota cars and was highly dissapointed in the low quality materials and the suspension that wasn't able to safely handle a load. I had a pickup truck that couldn't really pickup anything heavier than my girlfriends Subaru could. I have hated american brands for years but now realize Ive been wearing the anti-american blinders for a while. I will consider another Toyota car but not another pickup truck.

I have no problem with their cars, my buddy and soon to be wife have 2 of them and considered buying my fiance one last week, but decided to stay with GM and bought a G6 and we love it!

Coles_55 said:
I have no problem with their cars, my buddy and soon to be wife have 2 of them and considered buying my fiance one last week, but decided to stay with GM and bought a G6 and we love it!

Lets face it, if the G6 had an Acura or Toyota badge on it people would go crazy over it and pay alot more money. It would also automatically get a better rating in CS.

It is nice to see someone who actually owned a toyota respond. I own 3 and don't mind that you had a bad experience with yours.... others think they are great. All small pickups suck in my opinion....I did own a 87 toyota in high school, great little thing till it rusted apart. Got well over 200k on it. On another note I don't think the G6 can really compare with a accord or camry. They have a lot of issues. And that new Malibu well I'll say this to change the headlamp bulb the entire front bumper has to come off....about 3 hrs, great engineering. We are now realizing that all our new GM trucks 2007's tahoe, silverado, subs, ect are having HUGE trans issues....same ol' trans we've had for years(based off 4l60e)...just a little refined and improved = worse this time around!

Other brand issues

While davesrx is correct that all manufacturers have their problems, it is interesting to note that if you chase the link that was posted, read about the Toy bugs etc. & then go & chase other brands, the Toy has more "recent" issues on the trucks. And some of the issues are pretty scary!!

While no one can deny, the Toy's & Honda cars have done a damn good job on quality & dependabilty which has forced the US guys to step up to the plate. Quite a difference in the US cars-trucks from 30 years ago. Yep, they still all have bugs but, nothing like 30 years ago.

The Toy trucks, especially the 08 Tundra have yet to impress me & probably never will, but thats me. Dyed in the wool US built truck, yes my Ford was built in MO. ( yes Toy is built in TX but $$ still go to Asia)
And before I get sh** for saying that while I ride Yammis, well, I have ridden Yammis for 30 years & the quality is there. Tried a US brand sled for 2 years, never again. And on that note, I admit it is a Japanese sled, where so many of the Toy truck owners try to convince everyone that "its built in the US" so therefore its not an Asian truck.......hello..........it is.......so just admit it!!

I have 2 friends that have the new Tundra's,..............they are absolutely disgusted with the issues & lack of factory support. I mean when ya drop the tranny at 6000 miles.......hmmmmmmmm.........then the dealer argues....
The other one has stalling-engine issue that cannot be resolved at 10000 miles..........ooops..... :o|
And in both cases, they bought based on past experiences with the car side.
They both have said they are going to go back to US built trucks, one is a Chevy guy, other is a Ford guy. That says a lot to me.

I am sure we all have stories for all brands but, I think Toy is in a bigger spotlight as they claimed to have the answer for the US truck game. Dont think so yet. They may get there, but not this year or next year or.......????

It is great to live in a country where we have choices & can freely thow our opinions out there huh!!!

I will hop in my blue oval stuff & drive off to the sno mo parking lot !!! :letitsnow

All this talk about trannys going bad, well my Allison tranny keeps shifting along. Not a single problem so far.

American built is the only way to go when it comes to cars and trucks!

Coles_55 said:
All this talk about trannys going bad, well my Allison tranny keeps shifting along. Not a single problem so far.

American built is the only way to go when it comes to cars and trucks!

I dont support Japan in there automaking in anyway BUT I do see Allison trannys either being replaced or rebuilt here in our shop. Not saying that I see them every week but I do order parts or reman trans. at times. Were actually replacing a whole turbo on a 04 Silverado as I type this and as expected is a very pricey job to do.

THEY ALL HAVE PROBLEMS CAUSE NO AUTOMAKER IS PERFECT cause if they were Id prolly be out of a job.

i find this post kinda funny. people claim that the toyota's and nissan will smoke a turbo diesel (ford,chev,dodge).... Even if this was true all the diesel has to do is spend 1000 tops and get that bad boy chipped and that little toyota/nissan wont even come close to the diesel. face it toyota/nissan lovers you can compare these two vehicals. deisel wins every time every way.

you guys should also not be jumping on the band wagon to buy all these forgein vehicals, and even for us canadians to be flooding across the boarders to buy these luxury items, we shouldnt want to sell our self out that fast... because when they start closing all these vehical plants and people are out of jobs and start crying because there is no work here any more because asian countrys are making all of these products, and it is not even vehicals its literally everything.. and it cost these major compainies next to nothing to pay the wages over there and probably even to ship all the products back here... or even for us canadians when you flood south of the boarder to buy a big ticket item, maybe you should do that when you get cancer and it costs you a 1000 dollars a day to be in a hospital bed. I am fine with spending the money in canada and keeping my dollar here.. because of the other things in life we take for granted.. Why do you guys think the American economy is sooo weak right now.... start spending your money here not over there...

2001SRX=Fast said:
you guys should also not be jumping on the band wagon to buy all these forgein vehicals, and even for us canadians to be flooding across the boarders to buy these luxury items, we shouldnt want to sell our self out that fast... because when they start closing all these vehical plants and people are out of jobs and start crying because there is no work here any more because asian countrys are making all of these products, and it is not even vehicals its literally everything.. and it cost these major compainies next to nothing to pay the wages over there and probably even to ship all the products back here... or even for us canadians when you flood south of the boarder to buy a big ticket item, maybe you should do that when you get cancer and it costs you a 1000 dollars a day to be in a hospital bed. I am fine with spending the money in canada and keeping my dollar here.. because of the other things in life we take for granted.. Why do you guys think the American economy is sooo weak right now.... start spending your money here not over there...

No one to take offence to this it is just general conversation.

Things are getting a bit away from the topic but since we are going that way here is my 2 cents.

Well after reading that column those Toyota's sure scare me. I'll make sure to give them some distance next time one is behind me.

That video was crazy. How on earth did their engineers think that was a good design if a bumpy road at 30 MPH causes bed damage?

Most of the Toyota final assembly is here in the states for vehicles sold here but that is not the "Complete" vehicle production.

We as a nation (I'll group the Canadians in here too) need to wake up and realize that if we keep spending all our money on oil and goods abroad things are only going to get worse.

Look at it this way. Why is it profitable to build goods in China and ship them here and still be able to sell it lower than goods made here? It's screwed up.

Kind odd we here support a foreign snowmobile company and are complaining about a foreign car company.

I'm not an economist but have had some economy in college and I can tell you this. If we want things to get better here we better start producing things the world needs rather than purchase so much abroad. The trade imbalance has finally caught up to us and with the billions going toward the "War" effort not helping our dollar any the teeter-todder just stood on end.

Back