Toyota Tundra named Motor Trend's 2008 truck of the year

How big of a boat are we talking here that you were pulling? The last Duramax I was in was pulling an enclosed trailer with two IMCA modifieds and a jeep and we pulled every vehicle on the high way we'd seen. A half ton dodge with a hemi pulled up next to us on the highway and and I can't say we blew his doors off, but we gave him a run for his money.

Coles_55 said:
Do you not have balls??? Honestly walking into a garage should smell! i love the smell of my diesel and the black soot that when I stand on it that covers your crap Toyota, and please tell me you like the smell of your 2 stroke, cuz if you dont please grow a set!

I do love the smell of my 2 stroke as well as the sound, and your black soot wont be covering my Toyota (traded it in) it will be covering my 07 GMC Sierra along with the insides of many childrens lungs! I do have balls but they shrink a little whenever I smell diesel fuel or exhaust.

Coles_55 said:
Do you not have balls??? Honestly walking into a garage should smell! i love the smell of my diesel and the black soot that when I stand on it that covers your crap Toyota, and please tell me you like the smell of your 2 stroke, cuz if you dont please grow a set!
Coles, comments like this are seriously not needed. If you cant be respectful to other members of this forum, could you please just keep your comments to yourself? :bash:

yamaholic22 said:
I wouldn't exactly say the Tacoma DOMINATES the small truck market. There are a HELL of a lot of rangers and colorado's and canyon's out on the road. I test drove an '07 Tacoma with the big V6 in it and thought it was a real nice truck, but the prices are WAY out of line on those things. You can get a well setup full size new for what you can get a Tacoma for nicely setup.
True, but nowdays Tacomas outsell Rangers and Colorados/Canyons 2:1. I saw some truck sales figures a couple months back and Toyota sold something like 80,000 Tacomas that month, GM sold about 45,000 Colorados and Ford sold something like 44,000 Rangers.
As far as the price, Id like to see you buy a new, fully-loaded, crewcab, 4x4, V8 fullsize truck for $30,000. Without some serious rebates and incentives, it aint gonna happen. You will easily be paying $40,000 for a fullsize truck with those kinds of options. You cant even buy a stripped down, regular cab, 4x4, V8 fullsize truck for under $30,000.
Im sorry, but I have to disagree with you on that one.

800 said:
For a direct comparison, my Tundra pulling a raceboat, and my friend in front of me with his Dura max from Chicago to St. Louis pulling the same raceboat, he got a full one mile to the gallon better than me, big deal, and I could drive away from him any time I wanted to.

I was gunna try and stay out of this thread as much as I could but Im sorry that the biggest load of sh$% Ive ever heard. Your talking AT LEAST a 150-200ft-lbs of torque difference between a Stock N/A Gas engine Vs. a STOCK Turbo Diesel(which most people ARE NOT stock, there at least chipped which good another 50+ft-lbs pending program/programmer).

Last edited:
Bakemono said:
You will easily be paying $40,000 for a fullsize truck with those kinds of options. You cant even buy a stripped down, regular cab, 4x4, V8 fullsize truck for under $30,000.

My 07 Silverado Ext. Cab, 5.3L, Auto, 4x4, Z71, LT1, Tow Package/Locking Diff, and Safety Package(Side Certain Airbags and Adjustable pedals). "LISTED" for under $34,000 after my rebates, GM discount, and down payment its was around $26000 if memory serves me. I dont know where you shop for Vehicles(prolly "Toy"ota dealers) but I can tell your one to be taking to the cleaners if you think that. I really wish alot of you guys buying foreign worked in the "AMERICAN" Auto Industry cause I bet all of you would be singing whole diff. note if you did.

Last edited:
Oh relax Bakemono...just expressing my opinion. The reason why your Yotas are outselling the true American made trucks is because they claim to have all this power and features but when you actually need the power when your towing good luck, and have fun when your tranny goes boom cause you think you have all this power.

Coles_55, the balls comments is really uncalled for and childish... your better then that and can be more creative with your posts. We have rules for a reason and we need to bide by them or I get cranky... and that usually send me over the top creating more rules... LOL

I guess you didn't get the basis of my comparison. If you read my post, I said, if I had to pull a big trailer all of the time I would have to roll over and buy a coal burner. But I don't. The comperison I made was between 2 trucks pulling identical boats 400mi. on the road. These boats are identical because we have to weigh them when we race them so I know they weigh the same, within 10lbs. of each other and the trailers are the same make and model. Probably a 16 or 1700lb. package. This is a FACTUAL COMPARISON, FACTUAL, not what I THINK or an OPINION. Not my Chevy is bigger than your Ford or any of that. We did this intentionally as a comparison because these are light loads and wanted to see what the difference was. When you're pulling a light load all that extra torque doesn't mean anything, you don't use it or need it. Get it.

And "if" the Tundra is motor trends truck of the year for 08' why wasn't it for 07'? It's the same truck and are all the competitions trucks, Chevy just didn't want to pay for it twice I guess.

I forgot in my first post, the Toyota rebate. ALL manufacturers are giving year end rebates. Toyota is 4K, I just went with my friend to buy a new Dodge last week, their rebates on 07's, depending on the model was $8-12K. So those must be real junk.

I'm also sure all of you guys that are beating up Tundras have already went and test drove them so are making fact based statements. Like I said I'm a Ford guy, yep, I have 2 Shelby's too, but when I drove the Ford truck I just couldn't buy one.

Someone said something about having balz, at least I have the balz to admit the Toy is a better vehicle.

I used to feel exactly the same way about diesels...noisy, smelly, etc. Then I got to thinking about how tired I was of buying a gasser and by the time I paid them off they were nickel and diming me & worth almost nothing. I started looking at diesels because the resale value is WAY higher than gassers and the motors last twice as long. All I can say is: BEWARE THE DIESEL BUG!

I have had an '01 Cummins for three and a half years now. Only have air flow upgrades on it: four inch exhaust and a high flow air filter. Oh, and removed the silencer ring. I LOVE how loud it is when I step on the go pedal and the loud whistle of the turbo when it spools. I don't think much of the Dodge built around this motor, both Ford and Chevy have waaaay better quality built into them. What I love is the 17mpg city and 21mpg on the highway(empty), amazing for a rig that can pull like it does. Pulling two sleds is no problem for any rig, but the 25' camp trailer it is nice to have the torque.

There were some really left-wing statements made that I will stay away from, other than to say I was very amused when I read the comment about the poor, helpless children breathing the terrible, evil, horrendous diesel exhaust.

Last edited:
^^^^^^LMAO!!!!!! Love the last comment!!

I drove a Yota and beat the piss out of it and I hated it, I also drove the SS Silverado and that truck would walk all over the Tundra. And your FACTUAL data is bogus, cause there is no way a stock diesel and a stock Tundra the Tundra will pull away from a Duramax, or a Power stroke or Cummings.

Yes they have very nice interior but I would never buy a Yota or Nissan truck, just because its the Truck of the Year. Lets see how they hold up next year when they do their follow up issue on it and watch all the problems they are having with them. And also I JUST LOVE THE STUPID commercials Yota has!!

Makes me laugh all the time!

:winterrul

Last edited:
I was pretty happy with the price I had picked up my '07 silverado at. Out the door it came to $27 grand. LT2 package, leather and all the bells and whistles. The Tundra I had lined up was $39 grand. I just couldn't compare the two with these prices. I will admit I was really impressed with the power the Tundra had, but would it be worth the extra 12 grand. I don't think so.

Diesels are for towing. Who in the #### buys one and uses it for a daily driver??? Oil changes and maintenance are very expensive!!! You can't compare a diesel towing to any gasser towing.....now race a comparable silverado with a 5.3 or 6.0 and the Tundra with the 5.7 and a dodge hemi(the one I drove was a dog) and Fords triton or whatever they call it now and you'll have something to talk about......coles TOYOTA shows the commercials with the brakes and trans and such because if you ever work on an American 1/2 ton you'll see what they are talking about!!! My 1995 tahoe had smaller brakes on it than my 1985 4runner with a 4cylinder!!! Gasser Dodge and GM fullsizes have the worst trannys in the industry.

Mine is my daily driver???? Why would i wrap up that much $$ into something and then let it sit 75% of the time?? It's true that it takes twice as much oil when I change it as a gasser (the owners manual suggests changing it every 7500 miles, but I change mine every 4-5 depending on time of year, driving on dusty roads, etc.) and I change the fuel filter every other oil change, but I figure I can change a lot of oil and fuel filters before it adds up to paying for and maintaining another rig as my daily driver. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a little rig that gets 40+mpg as a run-around rig, but I'd rather put the $$ elsewhere, like, say, wife and kids, mods for my sled, atv's, camp trailer, guns and bows for hunting/shooting.

Back to the subject, I can't believe what this thread turned into. All the different rigs have lots of positives IMO, it just comes down to individual needs/taste in what your looking for and used to. Kind of like sleds, I grew up on Yammies and bleed blue if you cut me, so naturally I lean toward them. Always been dependable for me so I stay with them, but several different riding buddies have different brands of sleds and they've been good too. Pretty much all the POS's I've seen have been because the person that owned them didn't take care of them and perform proper maintainence. To each their own.

There were some really left-wing statements made that I will stay away from, other than to say I was very amused when I read the comment about the poor, helpless children breathing the terrible, evil, horrendous diesel exhaust.[/QUOTE]

Calling me a left winger? Thems fighting words, how dare you. I saw the Obama / Clinton bunper stickers on your Prius (just kiddin with ya). I was joking about the diesel smoke and as for the kids most parents in this country dont seem to care about their future too much so I gave up caring a few years back. Im glad you guys have and love your diesels, theyre all made in the US and I occasionally drive 16-24ft box trucks and the ones with gas engines suck compared to the diesels (even the ones with the ford v-10 gassers which are very nice ), I just wouldn't want one for my personal truck.

Lol, the children comment reminded me of a "conversation" I had with a left-winger that I work with. He was praising the new diesel emissions and made a comment about all the poor children that rode the "old" diesel school buses and all the terrible damage it had probably done to them from breathing the diesel fumes. Apparently there are people dropping over all over the place from this? Still makes me laugh when I remember his last comment before I walked away, "CALIFORNIA IS LEADING THE WAY!" (I like to call it Commie-fornia, at least the southern half) So yes, your comment reminded me of a left-wing view. Obama/Hillary, that'll be the day. I don't even know what a Prius is, I assume a hybrid car? :dunno: I'm just a poor, dumb hic from Idaho, lol.

And I stand by my earlier comment. I used to feel the same way about loud, smelly diesels...until I drove one. For some reason it makes me smile when I pull up next to someone talking on their cell phone (boy, I hate following people talking on the phone!) and they can't roll their window up fast enough.

mod-it said:
I have had an '01 Cummins for three and a half years now. Only have air flow upgrades on it: four inch exhaust and a high flow air filter. Oh, and removed the silencer ring. I LOVE how loud it is when I step on the go pedal and the loud whistle of the turbo when it spools.
The oncorked Cummins motors sound like heaven to me!! I like my 6.4 so far but I wish Ford could align themselves with Cummins!

You really cant compare a light duty truck Tundra with a Diesel anyway, I mean we are talking 1/2 ton gassers comparing to 1 ton Diesels. I am saying ALL things being equal the Diesel wins over in my book.

Funny you should say that. I also like the exhaust note of the Cummins, but I think the P/S turbos sound the best.

Back