whats the difference

tommey66

I am wondering the difference between the 1984-1998 Phazer 485cc and the 1999-2001 phazer 500 motors. I have a 1999 phazer 500 and the nuts on the pto side head came loose and let the cylinder and head come up and it snapped off one of the ears on the sleeve and also broke the piston. I am trying to get back up and running on no budget(200.00 or less). I have seen a couple motors from the older phazers as well as used cylinders. From all the research I have done they appear the same. 72mm bore and 59.6mm stroke. The piston and ring kits are the same part number but the sleeve part number is different as well as the gasket kit numbers. What makes them different? Are the older motors the same horsepower as the 99-01s? Please enlighten me. Thank you.

As far as I know (take this with a grain of salt - I was wrong about a PZ earlier this week), the top end should be the same, but the cases are different - different mount points for the engine. Hopefully someone will come along and give you a more difinitive answer!

You can compare part numbers (see the Yamaha site on the TY home page). If they are different, the parts still may be able to be used, I do not know if they update the part numbers on the lists. But if the numbers are the same, you will know the parts can be used.

Back