Hifax Wear

Tank1

Last year I read a article about removing the forward boggie wheel to save on weight on a 02MM 700. I then put ice scratchers in its place using these holes. But since doing this it appears that I have worn through the Hifax at the forward bend of the skid. Has anyone else done this mod and encountered this problem.

Since I have to replace this now what are my options on Hifax's.
1. Stock Hifax
2. Hiperfax from MPI (anyone use this, Pros vs Cons). This seems to be very costly compared to the stock ones.
3. ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is your suspension set up right? I had a similar problem when I bought my MM. I am mostly mechanically de-clined, so I am sorry I can't give you any details, but it had something to do with changing the location of the center arm to the lower bolt hole to change the geometry. Also, I have heard good and bad about the hyper-fax's. Some love them and will never go back due their long wear life. But I have 1 friend that put them on his MM and shortly thereafter they started cracking and had to be replaced. Might have been a bunk batch...don't know.

My srx has M10. Chewed thru slides terrible even with the front wheels on. Added extrovert drivers and now run the track loose with about 2" of sag. Even the cheap slides still look brand new plus there is almost no rolling resistance. Plus, I'm still running my limiter straps all the way out for more weight transfer. I'm a believer in running the track as loose as possible.

A friend of mine has ALL of his wheels off (ski-doo summit). He also runs ice scratchers. He said he does fine as long as he always uses/remembers to put the scratchers out when on the trail. He puts the scratchers back in when riding off the trail. It doesn't take long to damage the hi-faxes if you forget to put the scratchers out. He forgot to put them out one time last year, rode about two miles. He had hit a tree and messed his sled up pretty bad, so thinking about that caused him to forget to put the scratchers out. Anyway, I was following him to make sure his sled would make it back to the trailer when I started smelling burning plastic. I had him stop and we looked all over the front end of the sled thinking it was the tree damage that had something pushed into the pipe or something. Didn't find anything, so he tried to take off again. Hi-faxes were so hot that they had melted to the rails once he stopped, and it took a while to get them loose so that he could take off without burning his belt. I think any hi-faxes should be fine as long as you always remember to run the scratchers.

I too melted a pair of hi-fax's in marginal snow conditions, no scratchers of course. They melted to the clips on the track, had to use my plug wrench to pry every clip off. One thing I have noticed tho, I did change my track to a polaris 144" after the melt-down, don't know if the clips on it were different from the yokohama, but I definately get less slide wear.

A friend has hyperfax on his 151 viper m (no wheels) and it seems to have done the trick. Run your scratchers whenever on the trail, keep the track as loose as possible and pull the front limiters up a bit. My pro action skid was horrible on sliders. I switched last year to an xtra lite and it has made a world of difference

Back