SX Viper 144 Needs Help with clutch & jets

SX Viper 144

Website
www.southdakotawhitetails.com
Hi guys,

Bear with me, I'm new at this.

Have an '02 Viper that has the Hauck Venom triple pipe and clutch set-up. Added a Mountain Performance Products 144" extension kit and Camoplast 1.5" Crossover track. It runs consistently strong on the flatland, but I can't seem to get the jetting and clutching set up for western riding. My local dealer has played with the jets, weights and secondary and has come close, but it still bogs down in deep powder. Plus, it dumps alot of fuel and I end up using everyone's spare tank!

Does anyone have a similar set-up that they've been able to get figured out? Most of our riding is in Montana near Taylors Fork at about 10,000 feet (leave the lot at about 7,500 feet and head up).

I still have the stock Viper gear and wonder if I should go with the Viper Mountain gear instead. Right now the sled pulls 9000-9200 RPMs which the dealer said is about right with the Hauck set-up. Unless I can get some guidelines as to setting it up right, I'm probably going to sell it and go with a regular mountain set-up.

Thanks!

ive had benders, hauck, and now this year im trying slp. Im going out to cooke city in 3 weeks so im riding about the same elevation. when i was out there in the past the bender and hauck pipes i had on were terrible on gas even if you jetted them down a bit, and this was on my 02 short track, now this year i stretched it out to a 159" and i had a little help getting it dialed in. Try 152.5 mains 50 pilots 1 3/4 turns out on the fuel screws and 1.5 on the needles, this is what hartman inc. recommended for me. I dont think the gas problem will go away thats why i strapped on a 5 gal gas tank. Try giving him a call and he will set you up with clutching and jetting. The website is www.hartmaninc.com his name is tom and he a super nice guy and knows his stuff.

Thanks for the tips.

I've considered going back to the stock exhaust and putting in a Viper Mountain gear. My buddy has this setup on his Mountain Viper and his fuel usage is less than half of mine and the power difference isn't that great. I'll try the guys at Hartmann.

P.S. we're from Alex, my son is a freshman at Grand Forks!

red river or central, i graduated from central in 98'. I have a friend that goes out there with me and he put on hartmans 151" viper kit, and he is stock with 20/42 gearing and it does excellent, i really couldnt tell a whole lot of difference between mine and his, stock is probably the best way to go if you want mileage and have a good time with no messing around. Also he never bogs where i have problems all the time but hopefully i have solved that (there is a topic on this a couple threads down) hopefully you get it figured out. With stock atleast you can go off of a mountain viper tech sheet and get the exact clutching from yamaha. have a good winter.

Here is what I'm running. I ride at 8,500 to 11,000 with this set up and get about 8-9 MPG. I'm a hair lean at 8,500 and a hair rich at 10,500
PTO 145, CENTER 147.5, MAG 147.5, Pilots 45, Needles 2.0, Air screws 1 7/8.
Torsion spring silver, Torsion cam 43 degrees, 100 degree twist on secondary.
13.3 steel outer riivet, 13.3 Alum inner, 8DN 10 weights, Green-White-Green spring
I engage at 4,050 rpm and max out at 9,100 out of the hole and settles to 9,000
21 x 40 gearing. I forgot to mention I'm jetted for 0 to +20 degrees air temp. If its colder out I my sled runs a little lean, warmer is richer of course.

Last edited:
I have a 2004 MNT Viper I recently purchased. The motor is ported, boysen reeds, Peak Head with machined domes to match the porting, CPR Simmons triple pipes that I sent out and got ceramic coated, 2"x156" ported track with 8t Extroverts, MPI transfer enhancement kit. I installed a Polaris primary (custom setup by Tom Hartman for me) & Shockwave secondary setup (set @ 45degrees) and Ohlin for the far rear shock with the coil spring powder coated liquid silver metallic. The previous owner had NOS installed but I told him to take it off. I then got him to put the ATACC system back on (good for altitude and temperature adjustments-set up once and good for @ home & mountains)

I am currently running 160 jets across, with needles in middle position. I may try to lean down in the mid range a bit. Gearing @ 21/42 and I may reduce to a lower one for more in the bottom out of the hole in the mountains (I'll have to wait till I try it out in the mountains first).

I'm overrevving right now (9400-9500rpm) as my Polaris primary was set up for elevation so I need to try some heavier weights for around home (should be between 9100-9200). My engagement about 4000rpm.

As for my first ride over the Christmas holidays, I'm am very impressed and happy with the performance as I use to ride a 1995 ZRT 800MC ( I had this sled dialed in sweet!)

I appreciate all of the input. I've probably learned more in tech info in the past couple of days than I have in the past 50 years. Much of the bogging I attributed sounds like is wasn't necessarily the clutching or jetting.

Based on the input received I'm going to use the jetting and clutching specs suggested, but will also add an exhaust deflector. I think there is something ot the triple pipe issue. Mine are black painted Hauck's and my buddies is a stock exhaust. He rarely bogs down, but I always do. But dumping as much fuel as I was, she was jetted a bit rich and that didn't help.

Headed to the Snowy's next week for my first trip out there (we've always ridden Taylor's Fork in MT). Should I plan on 9-10K for most running? Good thing we all have our beacons, shovels and probes -- sounds like avalanche conditions are ripe.

Thanks again!

oh and yamiman, hes at und

Last edited:
Depending on where you unload, you will be starting at 7500-8000. Most of your riding will be in the 8500 to 10500 range. However you can find some good untracked stuff as low as 8000.
Excellent thought on the beacon and shovel, unless things change the avalanche danger is High to Extreme.
Welcome to Wyoming and BE SAFE. Don't let the thrill of the powder over-ride your brain.

Back