would u stop?

terret725

went riding tonight and on the way back we came upon a jeep on the side of the trail in a ditch. now the trail is a rode but is unplowed during the winter. it was a couple of high school kids "trying out the new tires". we'll we stoped to try to try to help kinda ruined our night of riding cause we were too beat afterwards to go for another loop. didnt get them out and had them walk the 3/4 mile walk of shame to the nearest road. should make them think again next time. but while we were trying to push them out a group of sleds road by. first guy fliped off the driver, second didnt do anything and the third just laughed so loud we could hear it when he went by. question is would u have helped them or just ride by and flip them off for their stupidity. now the didnt damage the trail at all other then the 2 feet on the edge where they went off so its not like they rutted up the trail. cause yea id be pissed but the trail was fine.

Depends on alot of things....Time of day, how many in my group, have to make a gas station. Probably would have stopped unless there was already 10 guys there. Would not have been too impressed with the boys wonder(teenies in truck).

i would have stopped. did on a timed ride and still had time to spare. gave the guy heck too because it was prime sled season when he was trying to use the road that is the trail.

kids will be kids - hopefully they learned something from it. good job on your part btw.

Been there.... We were out in the black hills doing some really mild wheeling. On the way home we came upon a road sign that pointed to our destination. We drove the "road" for about 4 or 5 miles before turning into another road off of it to try and turn around. That is where I got my jeep stuck. We tried to pull it out with my buddies truck to no avail. A group of snowmobiles came up on us and informed us we were on the trail. There was enough guys that the pretty much just lifted the jeep up and put it back on the trail pointing out.

My buddy in his full size truck wasn't as lucky. He got turned around and sunk into the trail. We tried with a wrecker to get it back out of there. All the wrecker did was damage his truck and provide some entertainment. The We left it sit there. Had no choice. It is my understanding the groomer pushed it off the side of the trail the next day. It then sat there till spring thaw.

I don't recall the fine, but it was large. He/we deserved it. In retrospect I realize how dangerous that truck in the trail is. I don't think it was as bad then (over 20 years ago) but still bad.

I would stop to help, probably wouldn't be much help though. My reasoning is his buddies that show up tomorrow may not be as nice to the trail while trying to extract the jeep. I know I have a dozen guys with huge rigs that would come at a moments notice to extract my jeep. I also know that they would destroy a snowmobile trail doing it. Especially the ones that haven't hit a rut at 65 on a sled.

I also think it fair to remind them the hazard they pose on the trail!

the_dream_theater_nut said:
unless there were already a whole bunch of people there. No sense cluttering the area and getting in the way.
^^right, then it becomes a safty issue for everybody...

I would have stopped and helped. I was once young and stupid as well.

Plus, I am a jeeper, and I always help a fellow jeeper out.

Plus, I am an Eagle Scout, so my only choice is to help.

Well, as long as they were not running from starting a house fire or on a Meth run. Then I would have let them sit, and probably called 911 and told the popo where they were. LOL

I would have stopped to help. What goes around, comes around. I am a true believer on that.
2datrl

A jeep did that a couple years back at my home and ended up with four flats and a bunch of busted out glass (not from me or my buddies). Felt bad for the owner of the Jeep, but when I found out why they were on the trail (drunk cruise from the bar), I didn't feel as bad.

ive seen frrom busted out glass, slashed tires to entire truck burned cause they were on the trail. not from me or my buddies. mudding has been a big problem around here. most all trails are closed off to every thing but sleds because of the damage the trucks and jeeps cause. plus they never do any trail maitnace just make a new trail around the part that is too rutted to get threw. so im sure the people thta burned the truck was also had an atv or dirtbike that they were no longer able to ride because of the trucks and jeeps and was a little bitter.

That's the code of the bush to me, you help out fellow people in Need....I was there last year, we wrote a truck off in real bad weather, and went in the ditch (not a sledding trail) we where 100km's in the bush, and if it wasn't for people stopping to help us, would have walked about 30K in a snow storm.

I will always stop, see if I can help, or at least give them a drive to get some help.

I would have stopped been there done that a few times. It sucks to watch people go by when all u need is just one more person to lend a hand.

Came across a truck in the trail last season. The owner had a camp up the road and he was going to drive in (he didn't own the road). Passed him walking about a mile before I came to the truck. There was a group already stopped- trying to slow folks down before they hit the truck in the middle of a blind corner. Wardens came in, yanked him out and may have yanked him off to jail, his truck was still sitting at the trailhead where they dragged it out the next day.

I would have stopped unless there were 20 of them and 2 of us. Ive jump started many cars in my day since complete strangers have helped me out before. I like helping others, it makes up for some of the bad things I did when I was younger.

I would stop if they were on the trail or off, if they were on the trail I would report their lic. plate to the proper auth. Tire ruts can be a death trap for sledders. As well as a truck stuck in the middle of the trail is very dangerous. And if they were just stuck in the ditch I would more than happy to help out since it could be anyone of us in that situation. I know my group would do the same.

Back