mm 700 drops loses power when hot

powderhound1

I have a 00 mm700 that loses power when it get hot, about 5 miles from truck. runs fine for the first ten minutes under hard throttle, then all of a sudden it misses a few times then it won't pull any rpm's and will only run 15 mph all the way back to truck. let it cool down 3 or 4 hours then it's off to the races again, power is all there and it runs fine again, what's wrong

Have you done any messing with the wiring recently? My boat did something like that,but it wouldnt start. I had a wire hooked up wrong and the coil got hot. Just my 2 cents.

Choke sticking? (weak spring for instance)
TORS? Did you recently adjust/remove throttle cable?
Cold seizing it? (ride it like you stole it before proper warm up?)

you can let it warm up and ride it, still the same thing. the tors is disabled also, engine not seizing. when riding back to the truck it would suddenly run fine for a few seconds and then back to no power like it was running on 2 cylinders. let it cool for twenty minutes and start it and it will rev nicely once or twice and then back to the same thing. thinking maybe a cdi going away or something in the mag. it has bender triples, v-force reeds, 151x2" track and a new clutch and belt, set up is good and has always run extremely strong, plus it only has 8000 trouble free miles

Last edited:
Either cdi or coil........try packing the coil with snow and see if it runs OK for a while.

response

In 97n there were alot of issues with the stator. I don't know if yours is a 97 but that soundds like some of the issues I had. Also, any chance water temps is gettting too hot and machine is going into safe mode.

Last edited:
check the plug caps to make sure that you're getting spark all of the time and not intermittently. maybe a bad connection at the plug cap joint.

run it for a while with it "bogging". shut it down and check the plugs......is it one cyl or all cyls that have the problem?.......that will at least get you isolated, you can go from there pretty easily.

This is where I would start.
1. clean carbs and check reeds.
2. Seal all the joints on your bender pipes. If the exhaust gets in the airbox it will act up like that. usually only happens in deep powder but if your getting enough exhaust under the hood it will act up. It helps also to make a block off plate around the bottom of the stingers to seal up around the exhaust hole. I used tin and metal tape.
3. if your not using solid terminal spark plugs the screw on terminals can work them selves loose.
4. Also your mag side spark plug boot should have heat tape on it to protect it from the heat of your pipe.
5. check your stator

I am leaning towards electrical

let us know...

Last edited:

Back