2001 MM 600 rear shock problem

mm6002001

I have had trouble with the front shock in the rear suspension since I bought the sled in 2004. It has been bottoming out when I go over small bumps in the trails. Since then I installed a brand new shock and still the same problem. Anyone have any suggestions on what to try?

brand new shock with the same spring rate?? are you a heavy guy?? I believe your shock is a black hydraulic and has a 1.2kg/mm rate, you may need a heavier rate spring.....CP

Yeah I ordered in the original shock and I am 180lbs. I can even stop on a bump and it just bottoms out completely.

correction on your stock shock is 3kg/mm not 1.2....you should have 26.5mm gap in your control rods....you can purchase a shock with stiffer spring rates from yamaha but may need to upgrade your shock to a aluminum KYB instead of the gas hydraulic...
most sleds will do that and bottom when stopped over a bump it can only hold up the amount of force it is rated at....3 kg/mm= 56 lbs/inch....say 4 inches of travel on that shock and it is holding up 224 lbs of weight, your sled is 500+ lbs....
now when your flying down the trail your shock is resisting that force of bottoming and your valve stack in the shock is to soft and bottoms out...your sled was designed for deep snow,climbing hills in powder, sidehilling ect......CP

Back