IR 1/2 drive impact

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
I bought myself an Ingersoll Rand 1/2 impact on Ebay supposedly brand new,it certainly looks it had the plug in the air inlet and not scratched up.The model is the 2132G and is red with 600ft/lbs of max torque and is nice and light.The only concern I have is when I put the air fitting in the whole thing inside the handle was spinning around,mind you it had a large nut on the base to hold with a wrench to tighten the air fitting in but this seems wrong that the inlet tube inside the handle is spinning.The impact we have at work doesn't do this but it's not an IR either.I haven't tried the impact on a bolt or nut yet to see if it works right but I did attach a socket and tried holding from spinning in my hand and I could keep it from spinning no matter where the torque setting was set.Now a wrench like this should free spin that socket around in my grip shouldn't it?This is the first IR tool I've ever owned so I'm not sure if this is common or whether there is something broken inside the handle.Anyone else have one of these impacts?

That is normal. The hose spinning in the handle. I have one. The red/black composite stye. It is supposed to keep the hose from wrapping up on ya.

As for holding the socket with your hands, thats not right. 1/2" impact? 3/8" hose?

Last edited:
If it is the gun I am thinking of it is a quiet tool= sissy-fied. Take the 4 screws out the rear and take it apart(super easy to take a 2132g apart)....take the foam pad out of the inside.....then turn it upside down and remove the screen thingy next to where you plug air into it.(mine broke all apart, no big deal) Inside that is more muffler foam and a plastic holder....toss it too!!!! Makes a world of difference. Gun is rated at 600 before they put the mufflers on(old non-quiet IR #2131)....I have one and work on cars everyday, great gun just needs these improvements. The air inlet turning is normal and fine.

Did the same thing as DaveSRX, my brother showed me how to do that since hes a mechanic and needs all the power he can get.

Back