piston rings

ironman600

Piston rings for a 600 twin are two colors, black(coated) and gold, which is top ring and which is bottom? OEM parts.

This is just a guess, maybe I should not reply...others will chime in...I would say the (black) coated one is the top ring (compression) & the (gold) ring is a oil scrapper ring...I would just wait a bit & see what others say...are they OEM or after market, if OEM what year stock was it!!!

I'm using all OEM parts and it's for a 1998. The rings are the same size exactly, the only difference is the color. Local Yamaha dealerships could'nt even give me a definate answer.

Oh, welcome to this site...give mrviper700 a jingle, he would more than likely know...cheers

I don't think it matters as long as you have the manufacturer's marks or
numbers stamped on the rings face up.

when i re-ringed our's i put the black coated one for the top ring and the
gold ring second on the bottom.

i see also shop manual says nothing about it except have mark's facing up.

Bringing this thread back to life!!!!! Is is true " the order does not matter as long as the stamps are facing up"???

Was facing that dilemma today and the only thing I could find online was dark ring on the bottom..... which I did!

Bringing this thread back to life!!!!! Is is true " the order does not matter as long as the stamps are facing up"???

Was facing that dilemma today and the only thing I could find online was dark ring on the bottom..... which I did!
They do want them a certain way, but it's been so long I can't remember.

Just found it in the 99 tech update book.
Bulletin S98-037
Top - black
Bottom - dull red
Very appreciated!!!! got them wrong way then.... did that yesterday, and today realized crank seal is leaking :o|:o|:o|. I guess I will have the opportunity to switched them now#$%&*

thank you very much for the answer;)!

Very appreciated!!!! got them wrong way then.... did that yesterday, and today realized crank seal is leaking :o|:o|:o|. I guess I will have the opportunity to switched them now#$%&*

thank you very much for the answer;)!
Replace the outer bearing which is a roller. Don't need to change the race if you don't want to.

Replace the outer bearing which is a roller. Don't need to change the race if you don't want to.
not sure I understand.... change the outer bearing? and the race? what is that? I was under the impression that I needed to change the oil seal in my situation.... But I am not an expert either!!!! but I did ordered both side oil seal today.

not sure I understand.... change the outer bearing? and the race? what is that? I was under the impression that I needed to change the oil seal in my situation.... But I am not an expert either!!!! but I did ordered both side oil seal today.
What crankseal are you changing?

the clutch side one
On the 97-99 600 twin engines the outside bearing is a roller. I've replaced many of these over the years as the nylon cage comes apart and the rollers just go where ever they want with no cage. I used the bearing from Yamaha, just slides on, no special tools needed.
(I'm assuming yours is original)

Back