drive axle bearing damaged

Mathis

Website
www.homepage.mac.com
was driving yesterday and i heard some strange noises from the skid. stopped and checked the drive axle on the clutch side, it was burning hot. guess the drive axle bearing is broken. would think it is best to change the drive axle bearings on both sides when having it taken apart.

I would say now that you have to open up things,chaincase and remove sprockets and brake rotor,change all the bearings at this time.Also change both jackshaft ones to.Do it all at once now and forget about it.

I agree...Bearings are Cheap if you go to a bearing shop. If you stick with bearing from Yamaha, you will pay through the nose. Use NTN or SKF or similar. Way cheaper and the same thing. They are all 6205 series bearings.

chain case bearings rearly go. i personaly have never seen one go on all mine or my brothers and his buddies sled. also havent seen one at work either. clutch side drive shaft on the other hand seen tons. easy to change right on the sled. lossen track take off secondary and speedo gear plate. lossen the set screws and pry it up and out then just pop the new one on. takes like 45 mins. they go cause the grease breaks down also cause water gets in there. on the chain case they are always lubed cause the oil so they can last for 10 times as long as long as u change ur oil regularly. IMO not worth the time or money to do them all. id say drive shaft and maybe jack shaft the have the highest chance of goin.

it was only the inner ring of the bearing left on the axle on the clutch side. the axle had teared a little off the cup that the bearing is on. but was so little that i think it wont do any harm.
had to take the chain case out to get the drive axle out. luckily i managed to get the bearing off the axle by smashing it off the axle with a hammer.

terret725 said:
chain case bearings rearly go. i personaly have never seen one go on all mine or my brothers and his buddies sled. also havent seen one at work either. clutch side drive shaft on the other hand seen tons. easy to change right on the sled. lossen track take off secondary and speedo gear plate. lossen the set screws and pry it up and out then just pop the new one on. takes like 45 mins. they go cause the grease breaks down also cause water gets in there. on the chain case they are always lubed cause the oil so they can last for 10 times as long as long as u change ur oil regularly. IMO not worth the time or money to do them all. id say drive shaft and maybe jack shaft the have the highest chance of goin.

how do you "pry it up and out"?... don't you need to get a puller on the bearing?

I do my bearings every two seasons and have always pulled chaincase to do so... an easier way would be nice...

tj

hammer

i beat mine out with a chisel and a hammer.then went to my dealer and they had no bearing there so i used 6205 with a coller behind it and then i drilled the cup and put a grease nipple in it,works great...there should be a greasable bearing there anyways(just my 2 cents). oh and this happened on a 01 mmax 700.

Back