Ski-Doo reveals early release '09 600 E-TEC motor

shortstop20

Website
www.snowmobilefanatics.net
To all SkiDoo dealers:

The rumors are true….WE ARE launching an early release model. Ski-Doo has once again set a new standard in the snowmobile industry. Introducing the new 2009 SkiDoo MXZ TNT 600 E-TEC.

Why E-tec?

- Simple System

- Minimal weight increase (415lbs)

- DQR (Durability, Quality, and Reliability)

- Same engine base as carb & SDI

- Battery less

- Same peak power as 600SDI (118hp)

- Technology is owned by BRP Inc.

- The reputation of our E-TEC outboard engines is very strong

Allocations are 1 per dealer.

I will be calling each of you today to confirm if you want one.

Here's some more info on the new model:

Model Name: 2009 MXZ TNT 600 E-tec (non-electric start)

Model #: MJ9A

MSRP: $9549

Ship Date: scheduled to arrive last week of January.

Fuel Economy: At 21 mpg US/25 mpg CDN, the 600 H.O. E-TEC uses 15% less fuel than the company’s current 600 H.O. semi-direct injection (SDI) engine, 78% less fuel than the Polaris‡ 600 CFI and 92% less than the Arctic Cat‡ 600 EFI.*

Oil Economy: Most owners will have to add oil just once per season, due to the added precision of the system’s electronic oil pump and sophisticated computer mapping. The 600 H.O. E-TEC uses half the oil of the SDI and Polaris 600 CFI, and just a third the oil (66% less) of the Arctic Cat 600 EFI. (There will be a new Di oil for this sled – each dealer will be auto-shipped 1 case soon)

Emissions / smoke and smell: The 600 H.O. E-TEC is the cleanest two-stroke snowmobile engine by a wide margin, meaning there’s virtually no smoke or smell.

Lightweight: Because of its two-stroke configuration, the 600 H.O. E-TEC is naturally lightweight, helping to improve handling and reduce rider fatigue. The MX Z TNT with 600 H.O. E-TEC weighs just 415 pounds (188 kg)….still at least 50lbs lighter than the competition!

Hassle-free ownership experience: Engines with E-TEC start on the first pull every time; run with a super smooth idle and instant response; the platinum-tipped spark plugs are warranted for three years; and features an automatic summerization function (automatic cylinder fogging…2min, and its done…all at the click of a button!)

Attachments

• post_3_1200354859.jpg
    post_3_1200354859.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 24
  • post_3_1200356302.jpg
    post_3_1200356302.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 46

Wow...Less oil...no stink...and a engine fogging button???
I'm speechless...I think I'll stay blue for awhile..but next
machine will definetly have me driving back and forth between
2 dealerships...hmmmm...
Good for Doo on bringing more technology to the table...

interesting

but isnt 21mpg what the 600sdi gets? I have seen reports of 23mpg even on a normal 600sdi rev, not the lighter hopefully more efficient XP chassis.
so from what I see, it uses less oil than the 600sdi, and has auto summerizing feature, but weighs 15 lbs more, and appears to cost more

I am sure emissions are much lower with less oil being used, and direct, not semi direct injection.

it makes sense to me.

Very nice. Unfortunately a new sled purchase has been postponed for another year due to no snow. Nice to have variety. Im glad everyone isnt increasing the weight of their sleds by going 4 stroke, the laws of physics just dont seem to be going away.

Last edited:
The University of Idaho had E-TEC fitted to their competition snowmobile at the SAE Clean Snowmobile Challenge in March 2007. It was very well calibrated and ran flawlessly, and really performed well in all areas, winning the competition by a rather large margin.

less oil still?? they must really be stocking up on rings and pistons ;) SOUNDS nice, but I still dont believe you can make a 2 stroke use very little oil and actually stay together. and no one will ever convince me you can until I actually SEE it happen lol!!

I was reading on the E-tec website that in the boat motors they use less two stroke oil then the amount of oil used in a four stroke oil change. Per the reccommeded hours between oil changes.

jwiedmayer said:
I was reading on the E-tec website that in the boat motors they use less two stroke oil then the amount of oil used in a four stroke oil change. Per the reccommeded hours between oil changes.

yeah, I have heard that outboard owners fitted with the etec motors barely use any oil. They have been using this on johnson/ evinrude outboards for a few years now. I think they have them dialed in pretty well. I would trust it on a sled no problem

03viperguy said:
less oil still?? they must really be stocking up on rings and pistons ;) SOUNDS nice, but I still dont believe you can make a 2 stroke use very little oil and actually stay together. and no one will ever convince me you can until I actually SEE it happen lol!!

they can use less oil cause the gas is injected just into the combustion chamber and the gas doesnt wash the oil off the crank and stuff like a conventional 2 stroke. they can use less cause there is less making its way to the cylinder and being burned.

I like it alot!! But.... I would have to watch it tried and true cause too many doo's blow up when I am out on the trails..

Well Guys I owned a brand new 90 etec outboard for a little over a year, had to get rid of it. Piece of $hit. 2 hours in left me stranded(fuel pump), then trim went out, ran like crap all the time after idling and trolling....on Lake Michigan 2-5 miles out this isn't fun!!! Dealer updated computer a couple times plus recall and told me I couldn't troll with it that long!!! IT is advertised to troll as well as a 4 stroke!!! Finally my wife and I were fed up and traded for a 90 suzuki (lost our @sses) but we love the new engine!!! 3-4 mph faster and yes heavier by 100lbs.....boat actually handles better! Big aluminum fishing boat(rated for 90) Uses about the same amount of gas but is totally quiet at idle and trolling speeds. I will never buy another e-tec, ever!!! BRP was useless and never tried to help us out at all. Poor Ole Evinrude is probably rolling around in his grave!!! All the BRP stuff is soooo hyped....look at the E-tec adds, or the Can-am ads, then look at the sled ads!!!! It's ridiculous!!!! Does anybody mention e-tec oil is like $40 a gallon???? Or the 3 years no maintenance is a bunch of BS!!!! Also my dad has a 90 e-tec and is having the same issues I had, great, glad he bought an extended warranty!!! Between his and my e-tec they were in the shop more than the 6 boats we owned prior combined....probably more like 10-12 boats if I could remember them all!!!

Last edited:
cacsrx1 said:
They better stock up on crank bearrings and isoflex grease.

Amen!

I'll believe it when I see it. Mine is 10 thousand K to break-in!!! 40 thou to the first valve adjustment! If this e-tec runs that little bit of oil, I'll be very surprised if it makes a fraction of that before you have to rebuild it, because like he said, the laws of physics just don't seem to going away!

Speaking of which, I ride the hell out of my Attak every weekend, I put on a lot of miles, and I just can't figure out why I'm supposed to be fatigued by the weight. The only time I'm ever really aware of the weight, is when I have to move it by hand!

That weight thing is, for the most part, a lot of marketing hooey! Don't be fooled making trips back and forth between dealers, buy quality and feel secure! G.

I really impressed with 10g for a 600, I'll take 2 please. Horkn - don't be so gullible, there will be one sled given to each dealer and the biggest issue I've read with these motors is that they hate the cold, so we'll see. Other then that, it's great technology and if it works it's only better for all of us. Keep them greenies off kilter as they try to conjure a new arguments against the dirty nasty snowmobiles.

sooner or later the government will want pollution control/emissions on snowmobiles....it is coming. If BRP wants to screw around with the etec, let 'em!!! Like my boat dealer said...10 years from now that motor won't be around....an injector is $400 computer $1500 and so on. When emissions hit the sledding world Yamaha will be soooo far ahead it won't be funny. Everyone wonders why they went all 4-stoke.....maybe they can see the future!

Allvipedup said:
I really impressed with 10g for a 600, I'll take 2 please. Horkn - don't be so gullible, there will be one sled given to each dealer and the biggest issue I've read with these motors is that they hate the cold, so we'll see. Other then that, it's great technology and if it works it's only better for all of us. Keep them greenies off kilter as they try to conjure a new arguments against the dirty nasty snowmobiles.

how was I being gullible? the tech ahs been out for a while, but the cold could prove to be an issue.

I read the same release you did. Also, if you avoid the first year of any new technology in the motor/ chassis, etc, you stand to have more problems regardless of brand. If you wait a year, you don't end up being the guinea pig. But then you have to deal with not having the latest and greatest. that is fine with me.

the jury is still out on the very light rev xp chassis.

Last edited:
yamaholic22 said:
The University of Idaho had E-TEC fitted to their competition snowmobile at the SAE Clean Snowmobile Challenge in March 2007. It was very well calibrated and ran flawlessly, and really performed well in all areas, winning the competition by a rather large margin.

I justed looked it up. Overall it won, and got the best mpg and second in acceleration. But in the emission test it only placed 6 ot of 8 sleds. Interesting...

Back