Ski-Doo reveals early release '09 600 E-TEC motor

Can someone explain why E-Tec is considered direct injection and the SDI semi? From the diagram in the cutout the SDI seems to be more direct injection and the E-Tec is more of a port injection... I'm missing something here.

Attachments

• e-tec.JPG
    e-tec.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

crewchief47 said:
The SDI looks to be injecting into a transfer port and the E-Tec is fireing into the combustion chamber.

yep , that's exactly why the E-tec is direct injection. it all refers to where the fuel is being admitted into the motor in relation to the combustion chamber.

Where is polaris and arctic cat in this emmission race............hope they get thier heads out of the snow bank soon or else I think there may only be two sno-mo manufactures left.

blkmax600 said:
Where is polaris and arctic cat in this emmission race............hope they get thier heads out of the snow bank soon or else I think there may only be two sno-mo manufactures left.

The polaris FS's and CFI motors are quite good for emissions, and fuel mileage. The cats, well, they still don't pull the mpg numbers the yamahas and polaris, and doo's do. well, minus the z1 jag. that 1100 FS twin is good on gas and emissions.

davessrx said:
sooner or later the government will want pollution control/emissions on snowmobiles....it is coming. If BRP wants to screw around with the etec, let 'em!!! Like my boat dealer said...10 years from now that motor won't be around....an injector is $400 computer $1500 and so on. When emissions hit the sledding world Yamaha will be soooo far ahead it won't be funny. Everyone wonders why they went all 4-stoke.....maybe they can see the future!
yammy ,merc and the others have so much invested in 4 strokes that of course their going to tell you thats the way to go.sorry you had a bad experience dave,but the people ive talked to absolutely love their e-tecs.as for emissions look at the numbers ,etec is just as good if not better.THE Lake Tahoe eco-cops use e-tec as their main propulsion.And that is one of the most heavily regulated lakes around and will only get worse.Anyways i run yammie but im not afraid of new motor designs or ideas.If anything maybe gas engines will be the ones to feel the most pressure and maybe we will be talking about clean-burn diesels in a few years.Me i have a 1982 90 rude and i would stack it up against any motor for reliabilty,and believe me i use it a lot.Now if only the cost of a new sled would come down a bit .

I hope they are better than the outboards - you still can't sell a bassboat with a ficht motor on it around here.

yah your right .but remember 1 thing ,ficht was orginally put out by omc and was initially horrible.when omc went under bombadier bought them and made many improvements to them and the latter year motors were really not that bad.most manufactures have motors in there history that they would like to forget about and im sure yammy is no different.how else do you explain that totally retarded main shaft on my 94 vmax ?that has to be the stupidest design ever .ive treated that sled very well and it left me stranded with a spun shaft for no reason other than a poor design as far as im concerned.dont get me wrong i like yamaha but you,d have a hard time selling me a fourstroke outboard,sled ?not a bad choise atall,but id also concider a 2-stroke also(new).

its funny how different people have different stories form people. I went to Alaska for my honeymoon and all the fisherman there said that yamaha was the only motor to have when you NEEDED it to get paid. honda was a close second. I would figure that when Lake Tahoe has them that means they got a deal from the manufacturer. like how my town switched from fords to GM with the cop cars... they got a better deal and switched. nothing to do with what is better. ever notice all the fish cops ride doo? got a deal, thats all. my $.02. I am just more of a four stroke guy I guess, but I ride trails and not ditches, so a little more weight up front is no big deal to me. Doo might be on to something, I just want to see it before I send that much on a new tech.

Back