Mountain Conversion on a Viper

SpiderViper

Hey guys I am going to be going out west this coming winter (09'). I am going to take a semester off school to go out there (but im taking extra classes now and over the summer to be ahead then when i come back I'll be right in the groove) and be a snowmobile guide for the winter. I would like to take my sled out there but the only problem is that i don't have a long track... :ORC ... so i was wondering if i should do the conversion, or to buy a mountain viper or mountain max i have about 3000 to spend...

Thanks
~Chris

I'd do the conversion then when you go back you could change it back if you wanted to. To save money on the conversion you might try to find a 151 rx1 suspension, or 144 viper.

Check out Hartman Inc. or Mountain Performance for long track kits. I'd say go with a 144 and your good for the mountains and back home.

If you have $3G's to spend, you could find a good used MM that was already set up for the mountains. You could buy it close to where you are going and then sell it when you were moving back East. There usually aren't too many for sale on here, but I have seen quite a few on the snowest forum. Or if you are looking to save $$ like most college kids are, the suggestions that have already been made are the way to go.

My husband did the 151 mtn rx1 under his viper with a moutain performance 144 tunnel extension ... like stated above he switches this out with his 136 skid when he knows he will be on flatland.

With $3000 I would buy out there and then sell when ready to come home ... then again you could end up buying a real POS!

I dont know what kind of guide your going to be, but I would think you are going to want more than a 144 if you are going to guide people out in the mountains? Atleast I would expect my guide to go farther in the snow than me. IMO

Last edited:
..SNAKEBIT.. said:
I dont know what kind of guide your going to be, but I would think you are going to want more than a 144 if you are guide people out in the mountains? Atleast I would exspect my guide to go farther in the snow than me. IMO

Absolutely, if I ever got a guide out west, I would hope that his/her sled would NEVER get stuck. Go with a 156/159 (I wish I had a 159!) When I did ride out there (Togwotee twice, Mosquito Creek), I had a 144 and wished I had more track. I couldn't go a lot of places that others could. I'm not necessarily into hill-climbing or highmarking, but getting to the GOOD places to ride was beyond my reach (track-wise).

To convert one you're only limited by what you want to spend. To convert your current skid, you're looking at $125 roughly for a rail extension. Then $300 plu for a track. Plus $300 or so for a tunnel extension, hoses, hose covers, etc...

Next option is to do the set back/relocate kit with your current skid. This is more money but improves the approach angle of the track to the snow.

The better option is to find a polaris, doo, cat skid and bolt that in there. They tend to weigh less, transfer better, etc...

I'm currently bolting a 136 polaris with a Holz coilover kit into my srx to run with my 144" track. I use the 144" here in MN and for a trip or two out west each year. It's a compromise each way. If all I rode was mountains I'd have a 151 at a minimum. The guy I ride with lives out there and he rides a full mod 162"x16" cat. He goes places that I can only dream of. I just don't have enough track for some of the snow we see out there.

IMO, I think you may be better to leave your sled alone and buy a mountain specific sled to use out there and sell it when your done or keep it for future trips. It could get spendy to set yours up as a mountain sled the way you should to be a guide.

I bought a 141 M7 skid and set it back to fit a 151 track. Super shallow approach angle, better ride, and lighter than the 121 i took out. I got $700 into the whole conversion after I sold my short track parts. 2nd best mod besides my bigbore. It will take a big straightaway for a short track to get away from me, and it handles wayyyy better than I thought it would in the tight trails.

I have the Hartman, Inc. 151 kit on my 02' Viper as well as most all of the Hartman upgrades he has tested. Sled is unbelievable in the mountains. I really think you can get your hands on a decent used sled out here for 3K unless you're anxious to try try your personal ride out on the upgrades. I think on his sight the parts, and track for the 151/2" is at $1,500. I'd spring for the gear/chain set up as well, a 21/42 ratio.

Most likely your going to be guiding in a non-extreme areas, I.E. guiding spores on groomed trails. Stupid People On Rental Equipment.
Make sure they provide you with a high lift jack, renters are no help at getting a sled unstuck. Your stock sled should do or what the rental place provides you with. But if you want something better buy a mtn sled used and sale it when your done. Converting is not easy or fast to get it right.

PS: Mtn Vipers stock are selling for as low as $2800. After a year you could resale it and not have lost the cost of jetting and clutching your sled.

Last edited:
You could buy mine. I think I am going to upgrade if I can sell my sled. 02 viper with a 151 kit on it @ 2400 miles. I bought the sled new so I know where it has been. Just a thought.

151Viper said:
You could buy mine. I think I am going to upgrade if I can sell my sled. 02 viper with a 151 kit on it @ 2400 miles. I bought the sled new so I know where it has been. Just a thought.

There you go, problem solved. Nothing to do but rejet for where your guiding at most likely.

Back