Smokers vs 4 strokers

iahacker

Like many others, I've been skepticle of switching to a 4 stoke. Two weeks ago there were 8 of us that went to the UP for 5 days. Four guys riding 2006 and 2007 Yamahas and 4 of us with 2 strokes. After seeing how easy those things are, my opinion is turning more towards the 4 strokes. On a -20 morning, they just hit the key instead of jerking their gutts out trying to get our tripples started. They went down the trails very well...500 miles worth and tough to keep up with. The two Arctic Cat guys with us were impressed.
We figured for the time we were there, the 4 strokes used about $100 dollars less in gas and oil. No lifting the hood to put more oil in. The 4 strokes hit the gas pumps noticably less than the 2 strokes.

In general, just put gas in about every other stop from the 2 strokes and ride them. How easy could it get!

Just my 2 cents worth.

it takes 20 bucks to fill my phazer on premium. took 35-40 on my sxr and i get the same milage out of each tank. i miss the full out top end on my sxr when on a lake but never miss it in the trails. phazer rides so much better and has way better corner to corner speed. plus the electric start and revers ill never go without again.

I ve been out with 4 strokes and my Viper has about the same milage as they do.Drove over 300 miles and did not have to add oil during the trip.One morning it was -28F the 4 stroker had a heater on the electronics for over an hour before it started. I spent about about 10 secs at full choke and mine was running and babysat it for another minute at half choke.I have electric start and reverse just like a 4 stroke does.
Is a 4 stroke better than a 2 stroke?? That would be a great debate to get into sometime. I like the 4 stroke power band, smooth as silk but I do not like the extra wieght they carry. Some day I will own a 4 stroke because one day my 2 stroke will die and Yamaha does not make smokers any more.LOL

my viper always got the same mileage as my 06 apex gt did,I didn't like not being able to start the apex on cold mornings (had to heat the elec.)as stated above^^ my viper starts on the second pull even when it is -20 f. I also did not like the apex in the moguls or for off trail riding,it was way to heavy IMO.

After riding a 4 stroke this weekend, I know that another trip to the dealer is coming soon! I love my SRX, but it just doesn't compare to the newer sleds in my opinion.

I absolutly love my Attak, it may not be the absolute perfect sled for everyone but I have owned many 2 strokes and now Im into my 3rd 4 stroke and I will not go back.

The issues that you guys have mentioned above ? I have seen none of.

I get close to the same mileage with my SRX, The new 4 strokes are more comfy for trail riding...But off the trail, I still do not like the weight. When its really cold, The ones I have rode didnt like to start, Once they were warm it was easy. To bad I couldnt get a APEX with a 2 stroke..

Ok I have some history here!!! LOL I had a 98 SX, 99 SRX, 02 SRX, 02 Viper, then I took the plunge and went to an 05 RX1, then 06 Apex GT, back to an 02 Viper and now back on an Attack. I aggressive trail ride, not as aggressive as years gone by but, still hit it pretty hard. There are pro's and con's to the differences. The 4 stroke is heavier and will carve a trail just as well as a 2 stroke in most cases... after you lower the front end, install a 13mm sway bar, take the limiter strap up one and reduce the weight transfer. But will I have to work harder to carve as well heck ya...I will have to hang off and drag a knee in the snow to offset the center of gravity of the increased weight, taller suspension, and rider height. But those same features make the sled more comfortable in the moguls and make the rider more comfortable. ...Pro's con's... Lets talk oil. Yes 2 smokes stink even running Klotz but, not as bad, yes you have to put oil in but, oil changes on the 4 stroke kinda suck.... but you do it in the fall when it's warm once a year at less cost. Ok gas mileage come on!!!! I have never gotten better than 13 MPG on my 2 strokes I got 16 with my Attack last weekend and the 3 cylinder motors will get 18-21 depending on rider and conditions. Last pro and con. Long story...motorcycle crash...disc fusion etc... sold my Apex GT. Wanted back into the sport after one year off so I purchased an 02 Viper with an M10 for 2800 last fall. The weekend before xmas was in the UP riding and the Viper was over heating ever 15 miles so I had to go back to camp. Called some dealers looking for a rear heat exchanger.... non around so I went and bought a left over Attack for 8200. Viper NO PAYMENT and just liability insurance ... Attack PAYMENT AGAIN and full coverage insurance. So I guess I didn't really clear anything up in this to smoke or not to smoke debate.... except for me personally I prefer the 4 stroke and not just any 4 stroke ... the long track 4 stroke and it has to be the 150 HP version for me!!! Argue on guys... but, if you have never spent a 250 mile day on a 4 stroke try it!!!

Last edited:
Gas mileage on my SRX is about 11. Son's SX-R 600 is only slightly better. We get way better mileage than any other sleds we've ridden with to the point people kid us about not getting gas. The 4 strokes are noticably better on gas.

I think I would definately go 4 stroke for trail riding, I don't think you can beat the comfort, ergo's, and gas mileage of yammi's 4 stroke line-up. But I just can't let go of my MM for off trail boondocking, which I do most of the time. Too sentimental to let go I guess.

Back