Larger rider sled recommendation.

I just got back from the U.P. and have decided its time for a new ride. I realized that my Viper is just too small for comfort and control. I need something that is larger ergonomically than my Viper and would like to hear from anyone who has experienced the new sleds and feels a certain model is ideal for a taller rider with long arms. I like all 4 brands so all input appreciated.

I'm 6'6" and a hair over 3 hundred lbs. I hear you, the No-action doesnt cut it. My father has an 06' Attack and I just feel like that sled is made for the BIG and TALL. My A$$ needs the long track and the grunt to go with it. I see a 4stroke in my future. my $.02

u will not like the newer styl sleds like the fxnitro the f series cat and the new 800r skidoos that have rider forward u are a sit down hang on rider like my self , ive tried the new sleds and i do not like in the least bit, the one that u will like to ride is the 1000 apex or the older rx1 with a 141 track 4 stroke they have the grunt to carry big guys around like urself and myself i,m 220lbs 5'11, my buddys got the 2003 rx1 which i have rode and they ride a lot tlike the srx or viper sit down hang on and shut up, i sugest u ride some of these new ones before u buy because i will tell u will be dissapointed, just my 2 cents Al Larson

I push 245 and 6' and I find the Nytro is fine but it all depends on whether you want to sit back or sit up. The Nytro seat isn't what I'd class as a touring seat so the Apex/attak or the 08 Vector(same as the Apex now) may be a better choice. Also need to decide what rear suspension you need. The Mono will likely need a re-spring and re-valve to work for a heavier guy, depending on your trails.

Vote #2 for the Attak. I am 6'3" and go 300+ suited up. I did longtrack and add a Boss Hirise flattop to my Viper. Still NO comparison to the ride and power of the Attak.I had Pioneer respring and revalve my rear shock. GREAT ride! I did change my seat to a 06 Nytro seat. They are a little taller and WAY firmer than the stock Attak seat. Added Slydog Powderhounds and changed the track to a Predator 1.25. Goes fairly well offtrail, and FLIES down the trail. I get 14-16 mpg on 87 fuel as well. There are a few good deals on the 4-stroke side right now. Hope this helped you !

Last edited:
Attack or Apex, I agree. Very flexible suspension and great ergonomics for big riders. However, guys going larger than about 250-260 with gear may need a stiffer rear shock spring than the Yamaha stock spring in order to have the appropriate amount of sit-in and still keep the shock travel within it's recommended 40-45 mm of travel.

nosboy said:
Pete,,,,, please dont jump ship!!!

Which ship, the Viper ship or the Yamaha ship? I know Yammys are the nicest and most refined. I dont care about high speed that much anymore and really want something that is easy to throw around and has a better suspension. Do the 3 cyl models have similar ergos? The attak is more power than I will ever need.

Pete, I rode the 08 Vector LTX at the demo rides last year. If I had known that Yamaha was going to put the 3 cylinder in the DBII in a 136, I would have waited and not purchased my Attak. Honestly, this machine is perfect for 90% of the people that ride sleds. Ride was as good or better than my revalved and resprung Attak with GYTR front clickers. It's real world power is very close to the Attak when trail riding. In Wisconsin we ride around Tomahawk quite a bit. These tight trails is where this sled would shine. GREAT bottom end power! My riding partner has a Rage. He consistently gets 18-20 mpg. I'll also add this. He is 70 yrs. old and really THOUGHT he preferred the traditional riding position. He had permagrin when he got of the 08. Said it really helped with the position of his back when riding, ( BAD back injury 20 yrs. ago ). Sorry if this is long winded, LOL, but I was REALLY impressed with the 08 Vector LTX when I rode it last year. Hope this helps you in some way!

BigMac said:
guys going larger than about 250-260 with gear may need a stiffer rear shock spring than the Yamaha stock spring in order to have the appropriate amount of sit-in and still keep the shock travel within it's recommended 40-45 mm of travel.

Yes the fat-boy spring was a must, but it makes all the difference

i am 6'1" 310 lbs. i bought an '04 warrior with an m-10 updated it to an apex seat and risers and beefed up the shocks and springs and it is awesome! the 136 and apex style with big boy springs are the bomb!
my 2 cents!

My father-in-law had this same question for me earlier this year. I told him to look at the Venture, and he ended up buying it. He is about 6'2" and pushing 350lbs. He just wanted to trail ride and with the long track on the Venture and the spring/shock setup for the 2 riders, he says it rides like his Honda Goldwing.

Back