MM 700 To many rpms/clutches and belt to HOT

jet101ski

I ve got a 99 mm 700 144 with Slp pipes, ported cylinders, airbox mod.
yellow silver yellow primary spring, 8cr weights aluminum rivet at the heel steel rivet at the tip, silver spring secondary 9&1 (100) 43 deg helix (stock) . I ride at 9000' to 10000'. currently running an 8dn. ON the trail it turns 8900 to 9000 rpms, clutchs a little on the hot side. Off trail 9500 rpms (45 mph track speed) and the belt is way to hott! Im open to suggestions.

SLP pipes with porting you should be running at 8500 - 8700 RPM's. Run stock secondary spring @ 70 or 80 degrees. G-W-G in primary. Use 8CR weights with 13.3 steel inside and 10.3 aluminum outside.

What is your carb set-up? What type of porting was done?

if ur clutches are hot it means only one thing ur secodary does not have enough tension on the belt and it is slipping u may need a secondary spring with higher rate to put tighter squeeze on the belt, and u are over reving on hard packed so put more weight on the tip to bring ur rpm down

The carb setup is 132.5 mains, 62.5 pilots, 1.0 air jet, 1 1/2 on the fuel screws, stock needle eclip on # 3 washer on the bottom. Mpi air box mod, still running the shelve. Reed spacers, single layer head gasket, racelogic porting. It runs really good on the mid and top end, the bottom has a small hesitation. It wont adjust out with the fuel screws. Its not my main problem right now. Open to sugestions though.

I took an aluminum rivet out of the tip and installed a 2.4 gram steel rivet and it made no difference in rpms or clutch temp off trail.

Follow my recommendation above and you will see results. You have your rivets in backwards and the wrong primary spring. Trust me, I have been running a MM700 for 5 years with SLP pipes and porting. I ride 8K to 11K feet.

-BD1

My 99 MM came with the short cover on the primary. I think the green white green is for the long cover.

ya it does make a difference with the short cover verse the long cover boondockers on the money with that ,once u got ur rpm to be what its to be and the sheaves are still geting hot then u have slippage in ur secondary.

Back