I took out a deer last night...

Yama49601

We were on our way from Yuma to Mesick and the #$%&* #$%&* thing jumped right out in front of me on the railroad grade. The only thing I could do is slam on the brakes. But I'm lucky I did or it would have ripped me right off the sled. The front end kind of just scooped its hind quarter right off the ground and threw it off to my left. After ripping my windshield and headlight out of the hood. It hit me in the left elbow but that was it. I guess I got lucky because it could have been a lot worse. But it still #$%&* #$%&* me off :o|
6.png

Last edited:

They come out pretty quick don't they. I had just owned my current sled for a week and I had creamed one coming over a hill doing about 70. Locked it up and piled that bad boy right into the hood and over the bars. Makes ya think a bit more once something like that happens.

i hit one a couple of years ago. all it did was break the front bumper. i wasn't going very fast luckily. then last year my gf had one jump right across the seat and cleaned her right off the seat. she was sore and brused up for awhile but that was about it. really gotta watch out for them around here, especially at night.

Yeah people hunt them for weeks on end and here we are screaming down the trail and they come right out in front of us. had them run out in front of me plenty of times on the sleds but no damage yet. Hit one at about 60 mph on my raptor 660 just barley clipped its rear I kept going like nothing happened. I have a killer helmet cam video of one that ran out, missed it by less than a foot up in houghton lake, St.helen trails on the wheeler. anyone tried those whistle things they put on the front of cars? Might be a life saver!

Thanks. Yeah it happened pretty fast. I still can't believe I hit the thing. I have perfect vision and am always on the lookout for them. It just happened too fast to be able to avoid it. I just held the headlight with my left hand while I drove the rest of the way to Mesick. Luckily, a friend of mine (that had to be up for work in 2 1/2 hours, it happened at 1:30AM) drove up and picked me up. I already ordered the new parts and they said they should be here Wednesday. So I'm not gonna miss out on all that much riding. Missing any though is too much...

I have a friend that JUST bought an 08 xp 800r brand new... got so excited he had to take it to the trail the night he got it (he was calling insurance the next day as they were closed)... hit a deer and totalled his brand new, uninsured sled. LOL... he was okay but I just thought it was soo funny I laughed and laughed in his face when he told me about it... after I realized he wasn't missing any limbs and he was okay. He's not hurting for cash anyway, so he'll likely just go buy another one.

No way!!!!!!! dude that sucks man,,the poor sxr, glad yor alright...you'll
have her together in no time..

i just about hit a dead one today coming out of a ditch, if that makes
ya feel any better...:)

The headlight and the gauge pod broke away from the hood, leaving the hood undamaged (except for hoof marks, hair and feces :rofl: ) It's almost like they designed it to break away like that. :dunno:

I almost had hit a deer last weekend just south of Grayling. I seen it off to the left as I was going south just before the trail runs along the freeway and it jumped and cleared the fence about 30 yds in front of me and walked/trotted away... I thought MAN was that close...T

I almost got smoked by one the other week myself. My buddy who was riding behind me (Arctic cat...of course he was behind me!) almost hit the deers pair. Remember guys, If you see a deer there is likely another one not too far behind! I found it strange that it did'nt really spook me while the deer jumped across the trail a foot infront of my ski-loops but scared the shit out of me about five minutes later. I guess it took my brain that long to think of the possible consequences.

Back