Anybody here ride sober?

One thing I noticed about snowmobiling is the large amount of drinking sledders do. I dont like to drink when Im riding/driving. Whenever Im in the U.P. I see lots of sledders drinking all day long (I know its real bad at night). Am I just a freak or are there others besides me. Im not passing judgement or preaching, I encourage drinking and drugs if you dont hurt anyone besides yourself and have fun. Ive just never participated in anything with such a high level of intoxication. Check out the Wisconsin DNR sled fatality list, some of the dead guys are 3 times over the limit. Im asking as all but one of my friends gave up sledding and I wonder if I can find sober people to ride with.

No your not alone...

i'm with ya,i would never drink wile sledding,nobody in our group does,thats
the stupidest thing a person could do,kill themselves or others..

if i saw a sledder drinking and driving i would call the cops so fast it isn't
funny!!!!!

I am there with you too. The most I drink is 1 beer with lunch thats it. After a good days ride than I will have a few cold ones and talk about the day! I remember meeting guys in the UP drinking wiskey and chasing it with beer out on the trail, We got out ahead of them and hoped not to see them again! I quite ridding at night just because of the drunks! I guess you do get alittle wiser with age!
Blue

Pete, Come to a TY ride. I also don't drink at all, but have no problem when the guys are lettin' it loose AFTER we ride. When we ride out of my place in Tomahawk, no drinking and riding. If you want a few after we get back to the house, have at it. But none when riding. Safer for me leading, and for those we may encounter.

Viper dave, you are in Tomahawk as well?

I am off of mohawksin.

as far as drinking and riding, far too many do it.

I will have a drink from time to time, but I definitely don't drink much, nor do I use snowmobiles as a way of touring the northwoods bars. To me, bars are a way to warm up, take a break, and get some food.

horkn, Silver Lake, southeast of town. Trail runs right across the lake. County S to County V, first left after you go south on V.

I'm with you guys but I'm men enough to admit I used to drink more than a few beers (but never loaded) 2 seasons back, since my daughter was born in 2006 and got smarter and also quit riding with some guys I don't drink when I'm riding anymore.

Ride safe and drink responsably is not that hard.

Nick

A good drink is much more satisfying after the keys are hung for the night. snowmobiles are dangerous enough, ANY amount of alcohol (or other intoxicants) just adds to the equation.

I'll be honest with you guys, I used to drink on the trails. Nothing crazy, but definetly had a few and in the bars too. Well about 3 years ago I decided it was really stupid and basically stopped. I will have a one with lunch and a couple more with dinnern that is it. That is definetly no where near the legal limit and very infrequest. I'd say I grew up, but a lot of the guys I tour with still do and they are all older then me, lol. Hell the one guy won't let me drive his truck, but drink whisky the whole time he's towing our sleds (don't get me started on him). Anyway, no I've never been out there racing around, two sheets to the wind. And yes, there are far to many that get loaded on a regular basis and yes its usually at night. I still like night riding as you can see sleds coming. I just assume the guy is drunk and get off the trail before he passes.

8vo fan said:
A good drink is much more satisfying after the keys are hung for the night. snowmobiles are dangerous enough, ANY amount of alcohol (or other intoxicants) just adds to the equation.
Agreed.
Been out a few times with the boys where some of their buddies have joined us. For the most part we all have a good time ridin.They have a beer at each stop (45mins to an hour) but of few of them just don't know when to stop with the booze and sometimes other "medicine". When this starts happening I take the lead in the back of the pack.
I have been getting a little selective with whom I ride with the last couple of seasons. Mileage has dropped but the fun factor is way up.

There was a story on the news about how in WI a dwi on a sled doesn't go on your driving record.....no wonder why drinking on the trails is so popular.....I will have one or two tops with lunch.....but I see a lot of people tipping them back....makes me nervous on the trails especially at night. It would be one thing if well all drove snow scoots:) although they are getting costly to were I wouldn't want to crash mine...LOL

I never have more than 1 beer or im stopping to piss every 5 minutes and then i have to play "which way did they go?"

blueblooded said:
I never have more than 1 beer or im stopping to piss every 5 minutes and then i have to play "which way did they go?"
yah, that the thing that kills me now. The other guys stop every 20 miles for a wizzzzzzzz. Often end up wishing I knew where I was going, lol.

i have to say the same drinking and driving high speed sleds not a good combo, i will not ride with those who drink and drive sleds, the bunch that i ride with stay clean. not to say every budy goes indian with a few drinks but u will allways find a couple bad ones in a group who get twisted out of shape, so not for me,

chitownpete@yahoo.com said:
One thing I noticed about snowmobiling is the large amount of drinking sledders do. I dont like to drink when Im riding/driving. Whenever Im in the U.P. I see lots of sledders drinking all day long (I know its real bad at night). Am I just a freak or are there others besides me. Im not passing judgement or preaching, I encourage drinking and drugs if you dont hurt anyone besides yourself and have fun. Ive just never participated in anything with such a high level of intoxication. Check out the Wisconsin DNR sled fatality list, some of the dead guys are 3 times over the limit. Im asking as all but one of my friends gave up sledding and I wonder if I can find sober people to ride with.
I'M WITH YAH!!!!!!!!!!

I took a pledge when I was subscribed to the M.S.A (Mich Snowmobile Assn) to NOT drink and sled, or to not have a drink UNTIL the keys were put away for the day. I'm not a big drinker anyways. T

I love my beer, but love ridding even more. I do not drink while out riding, which makes our club trips interesting. I'm like 1 of 3 members that drink soda at the pit stops.
I'm not saying that the others are getting loaded, I just do not see the point of sitiing at a bar for an hour at a time, and the trails outside are perfect. I have my barley pops when the sled is put away for the night.
2datrl

I have to agree with you all..there is to much drinking going on. When i was a young man i would slam'm and ride...lucky i'm not dead i'm sure. Stopped it about 10 years ago when i ended a day of riding and drinking at the bottom of a giant ditch with my sled on me.........that was it...my a agreement with the big guy upstairs was if he got me out of this i would stop drinking and riding and he did.....i have to say it is a sticky situation when i'm out with my buddies and they are slamming them down and we get back on the trail.....i don't say much( keep my distance on the ride home) till the next morning, and hope they slow it down a bit....say safe out there guys.....YAMADOG :letitsnow

I have a hard enough time riding sober lol, can't imagine trying to ride drunk. I gave up drinking entirely years ago. Nothing good ever came from it.

In the past ten years I have totally changed the group I ride with. I don't see the point of sitting in a bar drinking when we could be out riding, the season is short enough. It is sooooo much more fun when the gang is all sober.

Back