HD TV's

Coles_55

So many to choose from, what do you guys have???

And whats the best one out there?? Im looking in the upper 40 inch range to mid 50's...

We read a lot of the reviews and picked the Panasonic 42" plasma (model # TH-42PX75U). It had some of the best reviewes of any on the market. Picked it up this past Christmas for 1000.00 bucks, normal list is 1400.00. Have not as yet gotten the HD package from Direct, but even just in digital it has a great picture and are really enjoying the races on the wide screen. You won't be disappointed.

We went with the 50" Pioneer about a year ago. It isn't the cheapest option, but the picture is considerably better. If I was on a budget I would go with LG as their picture seems to be one of the best for the money imo. We couldn't be happier with the Pioneer and am still amazed at watching sports in HD. If you can afford to pair it with a good surround system, you will have the whole package. I went with a Yamaha receiver and Infinity speakers at the same time and we still say it was one of our smartest purchases. The sound from the HD channels is so much better than non HD.

56" samsung plasma full hd 1080 p, awesome picture quality and sound with many features.watching nascar and sports dosnt get any better....

See I am stuck on whats better plasma or lcd....I wne tot Best Buy and couldnt decide to save my you know what...

snomoguy said:
We read a lot of the reviews and picked the Panasonic 42" plasma (model # TH-42PX75U). It had some of the best reviewes of any on the market. Picked it up this past Christmas for 1000.00 bucks, normal list is 1400.00. Have not as yet gotten the HD package from Direct, but even just in digital it has a great picture and are really enjoying the races on the wide screen. You won't be disappointed.
X2.My finance and I went with the same tv a year ago December and we like it.As snomoguy stated it had the best reviews for the category,Sony and Samsung both have pretty good reviews for LCD.My choice came down to the technology I guess I just wanted to say I own a plasma tv ;)! .But seriously if the place you shop at will let you take one of each at set it up in the room you plan to have the tv in and see which you like better.And remember don't be afraid to play with the settings of a tv in the showroom as I learned a little piece of info a few years back that these places will intentionally alter the picture settings on cheaper priced sets to make you think they don't have as good a picture.Oh and as a last thought don't get sucked into buying the stores high priced cables that "you just have to have to get the most out of the tv".Thats bull and some of the guys on here proved it to me last year.

We went with the Sony Bravia, 40 inch, D series. It has a faster refresh rate such as following a hockey puck sometimes there can be a "line" that follows with tv's with slower refresh rates.
I was also told that LCD is better in higher light rooms and plasma in darker, but they are all nice IMO.

Collin

Coles_55 said:
See I am stuck on whats better plasma or lcd....I wne tot Best Buy and couldnt decide to save my you know what...
If this TV is going to be in a room with alot of sunshine I would go with the LCD due to the low gloss screen. Plasma's pick up alot of reflection which can be very annoying. Samsung, Sony , Panasonic hard to go wrong with these brands.

blueracer said:
56" samsung plasma full hd 1080 p, awesome picture quality and sound with many features.watching nascar and sports dosnt get any better....
this is what we have! great tv!
as long as you have dlp technology you are good! and it is geting cheap now! we bought ours at best buy for $1400 and got 3 years no payment no down payment ,no interest......if you can't pay 1400 in 3 years something is wrong!

Lcd all the way. I have a 42 inch olivia 1080 hd love it. Ihave the full hd pack. from cable and Im thinking of canning the cable and going to direct since cable only has like 15 hd channels and direct has like 30.

The ratings on picture speed quality ( less blurr with high speed objects such as football or racing) is
Plasma #1
DLP #2
LCD #3
That is the reason we went with Plasma, was gonna go with DLP but found out the plasma is quickest with picture blur. I still like the DLP picture, but the TV's are larger in cabinet size (deeper) and the DLP looses picture quality when viewed from an angle.
Go to your local appliance dealer and just set and watch all three types, from straight on, at an angle and in different light, but also ask them to hook each up to normal cable, satilite, and to rabbit ears. If they want to make a sale they will do that. Don't just go by the picture they show you on the TV cause most are hooked up to a pre programed HD CD they have choosen as the best pic and color to show off the set.

I originally had a 57" Toshiba rear projection H.D. for 7 years with a denon 5.1 receiver and Boston Accoustics speaker system never a problem moved that system to the rec room for the kida and got a Sony 60" LCD with a Yamaha 7.1 system for me over a year ago, also no problems and prefer the modern look of the Sony LCD. I have both DTV and ExpressVu H.D. Receivers on each system.

Jim

I have a Toshiba Regza 42" lcd 1080P...quality is great, I like that there is no reflexion from windows or lights....I'd fully recommend, been a good TV so far.

Last edited:
Old job was installation and sales and of A/V equipment and my top brands in order would be Pioneer, Mitsubishi and Sony go in and look at what the differences are and make a decision for yourself. Buy cables based on price of other equipment and save money.

Well my parents just bought a 52" Toshiba LCD and that thing is nice, spent another hour the other day at Best Buy and I think as soon as I get my tax return back I will know a little better on what I want to spend. I love the picture of the new Sony Bravia LCD, but dont feel like spending 3 grand on a tv...

I own a 42" Sony Barvia LCD 1080p and a 50" Panasonic Plasma 1080p. Plasma is better for sports and action. LCD for light room. Both are awsome. I would give the edge to the LCD but I'm thinking it is more the Sony than the different type.

Best bang for the buck was the Panasonic.

Samsung is real nice. One thing I learned when looking is that the Samsung has a great color enhancement. While this may look great it strays from true color. One example is a baseball. On the Samsung it was bleech white. Not true color.

Good luck with your purchase.

sony bravia. real nice, well built, and doesnt die or have burn in problems. just got a one a month and a half ago, and I LOVE mine :) circuit city had some great deals. mine was originally $3k plus when it first came out, I paid 1500 with an hdmi cable ( a MUST have with my ps3 for amazing blu ray :) ) and a NICE surge protector. couldnt be happier :)

Back