suspention breaking alot!

venture700

last fall I installed a hartman 1999 MM long track kit (136-151) on my 2003 venture 700. the suspentions look the same to me thats why i got it.. my suspention is solid as a rock and rides like shit. but when i got a passenger on with me it works good until those gold rods by the rear shock snaps off very easy. i broke 4 so far this winter. whats going on? i never heard of these rods breaking on any other yamahas with those suspentions so what shuld i do? im scared to make a set out of strong steel because it might damage my back arm......thanks

The rear shock is binding or the spring is way to tight.The rods are ment to pull the shock end so it will colapse.

I sense that something is not right beyond the spring setting. Can you post pics? Up close?

i made a homemade transfer enhancement kit and put both the shocks on the softest setting a few days ago and the suspention seems smoother but i got a feeling that never solved my problem.....ill post pics tmw to see if any of you guys can see whats going on

I rode most of the miles this year on our venture with 2 people on it. The rear susppension was the same between the 97 and 03 IIRC. I had no issues with breakage of parts.

I think you may be having issues due to the longer track conversion and the homebrew transfer enhancement.

hrkn he has a 151.the suspension has a different geometry now and is modified.

Something is not right with your rear shock. Most likely the distance between the cross shafts. I tried to move my suspension back without a kit and it did the same thing you describe. I wound up buying an MPI kit to get it right. If you haven't already, call Hartman and ask them if they have any idea what it could be.

Back