Why wont my cat 3406 14.6 liter start!!!!!!!?

Yamidude59

Just got done doing an overhaul on the the strait 6..... Timed engine correctly (valve lash, High pressure fuel pump, etc) i bled the fuel system to the injectors, checked all wire harnesses and what not, i looked on my cat SIS Program, doesn't point me in the right direction..... where you at daman.

so what is the engine doing? is it acting like it wants to start or does it feel like it is starving for fuel. I work in a local heavy duty repair shop, so i can ask 8 different mechanics some questions for you.

you do have fuel at the pump and at the injector heads right. What 3406 is it b e what

Just asking..are you SURE timing and valve lash are spot on?

answer the other Q's too, what year is this motor?

its a 93, found two Codes, excessive voltage at the Fuel Rack i was getting 4.71 volts out of it when its not supposed to be any higher then 1.03 and that reading is supposed to be at anything below 0 degrees, and I had excessive Turbo boost Pressure voltage.... bad ground somewhere, just have to fish it out now. yes, I have fuel at the pump and heads, i have compression....

Its a 3406C PeecIII

The truck is a Peterbilt 362 c.o.e.

5 years into the diesel Field with 2years training, First time an engine i rebuilt wouldn't start, this engine is a dog, so many past problems, Ecm got reprogrammed for autoshift tranny application.

I doubt it had anything to do with the prelube process....

make sure the fuse to the ecm is ok , on the peter built it,s in the battrey box, if the fuse is good then trace that wire out of the battery box up to the starter area , peter builts are know to rub that wire out , so i think u have a broken wire. i have worked on peterbuilt,s for 5 years and this happens often, other possibility is the ecm box. peterbuilt has a harness u plug in to , to buy pass the box, and if it starts then ur box is finished . allso check a plug in on the fire wall on the drivers side, its a 2 wire plug in with locking clip , the pins in that plug in go bad , cut the wires and hard wire it with shrink tube . hope this gets u going, Al Larson

During the overhaul i needed to put a rack position sensor in the engine, When i unplug the sensor the codes go away, but when i plug it back in the two codes come back, and this is with the new sensor....

You might double check the part numbers on the sensors. If they're different , the ECM will throw a code. It still sounds like you have a bad wire though........

allso pull the plug in wire harness to the ecm and check and make sure all the pins are good, was this a problem before u rebuilt it. was it running before u rebuilt it. if so then the timing on ur cam gear may be wrong and thats why ur getting a code, just a thought ?????? Al Larson

Found problem, Fuel system was not totally bled to my surprise, and the rack sensor is a very sensitive piece, and it was put in just a little too far.....

Back