NBSSR Vintage class

Yamy I think the display board is a great idea too but do you realize how hard that would be to do? Marcel (the fine looking man in the truck at the end of the track) has to record all of the passes on the specific paper for that class after every pass.. and keep his eye out to make sure the track is clear.. reset the gun exactly at the right time... report back via radio to the guys at the start line.. it's not an easy job! They would need more staff. Someone at each end to report the times back to the start line and then someone to post them to the board.. I mean it's possible but the staff already have their hands full.. I'm just trying to be real here and I dont know how they could make this happen..unless we know a few more people who would volunteer their time every race weekend..

blue i dont think they mean a display board like that ,,more like a information board were people can read and realize they dont have to go 150 mph to enter and the classes available most uneducated people wont go in the trailer to find out , like for example....................................................................................................
600 cc class non power valve h.p. up to 110 avg. speed 95 mph....
600 cc class power valved h.p. up to 118 avg speed 105 mph.....
700 cc non powervalved h.p. up to 118 avg speed 105 mph
700cc powervalved h.p. up to. 148 avg speed 115 mph

two sheets of plywood with interchangeble slots would do cheap and educative

Last edited:
no worries blue....I think we all have the best interest of the sport in mind. This is the first year I race in the NBSSR and you always see the same people which is good but I think it would benefit the NBSSR if they attracted new people and help the spectators understand a little as well

if they dont catergorize them classes different yammy dont expect to see new people travel to north bay , youll only see them once ...

we had a fella in our group that ran 110 with a single pipe sx , i thought that was awsome , ill be surprized to see him back , he only got beet by 18mph ??????

Do you really think things would change for SX owners if they made the classes differently? SX (single pipe - 115hp) vs. an SRX (multi pipe - 140hp) - you find this unfair. What about a 115hp SX vs a 140hp stock Firecat? They are both single piped sleds. The stock SX just didn't make enough power to be competitive....whether it be against an SRX or SX. Now, for the improved class.....you can build an SX improver to make nearly as much power as an SRX improver, and it would be competitive......but again, it's costly.

In racing, there will always be people who go to the extreme end of things, which makes it difficult for the average guy who just runs pipes to be competitive. Basically, unless you run in the stock class, be prepared to spend alot of money in order to win. And, if you do run in the stock class, choose a sled that makes the most power if you want to win, and know how to tune it. Otherwise, treat events like this simply as a radar run, and try to achieve your personal best.

ya maybe your right , thats what i did this morning ran the gun against my self , no point ever going back to nbssr runs with your theory , ill just stay out here and invite the 7-10 sleds i brought to rockys ( $300 + entry fee)in a bay somewhere and beat our personal bests ....and eventually you could come too because thell be no more organized events i assume !!

Easy now, Vince. You have to realize that there is always going to be competition......as this is a competitive sport......they all are. It is our goal as competitors to try to stay competitive, and beat out the competition........by 10 mph or by 0.1 mph. A win is a win. That's what it so fun about this kind of event. If it wasn't a challenge, why do it? We take pride in that. You can't expect that an average guy will throw a set pipes on a sled and expect to win an event. Everybody always thinks that their sled is the fastest sled around.....I've seen it a thousand times. When my SRX was stock, or ported, or big-bored, I had never been beat by another SRX around here......that's not saying it's the fastest SRX......it was just the fastest SRX around here. When you go to the NBSSR events, you realize real quick that there is some serious competition.

The best speed I ever achieve with my SRX with a stock motor was 127.1mph, in great conditions, mind you......it had a trail track and chisels, but it was in about 3500 feet. Lise ran 128 mph with her SRX in 2000'. Mine was not tuned well enough to compete with that. If I would have competed against her, would I have quit competing, and gone home with my tail between my legs?.......No. I would have worked harder and harder to try to win. The stock class is the easiest class to compete in, whether it be trail or pro. They all have the same power available. In those classes, it is all up to the individual or tuner to get the power to the ground and get the most out of the chassis. It is basically a level playing field. There is the issue, of course, of somebody who tries to enter an underpowered sled (such as an SX700) into the specific classes to win. They are going to have a hard time winning, and changing the classes is not going to help them.

Again, Claude and the NBSSR crew provides phenominal conditions, as they spend countless hours trying to make the track and conditions as good as he possibly can for the competitors. You can't get smoother ice, or better conditions. It is a safe place to run, and you get the thrill of trying to compete and get the most out of your sled. They have trophies for all of the trail classes, and either monies or plaques for the pro classes....not to mention all of the door prizes for everybody who enters.....that range from stickers and hats to v-force reeds.

Yes, it's hard to please everybody, and we try to do our best, but for those who have the racing bug, and want to compete, there isn't a better place.

No matter what type of racing you compete in you can't bring a knife to a gun fight , there are always sleds that will be more competitive in their own classes. sx vs srx ....rev 800 or 809 mach. weve been on both sides and have had a good running sx and now have an srx ....Choose your weapon!

Valin, i understand where your coming from , but in the trail stock class not improved or pro were you need to bring a canon and a second mortgage , to a gun fight ,the manufacturer has built a sled with xxx amount of h.p. so what you do you think of catorgorizing h.p. sleds . now i have no idea how difficult it is to obtain data sheets from dealers , but it would be cool if 110 h.p. competed against 110 h.p. sleds Through out the cc catergories just the way they made them , let the best tuner win . If you choose to improve it than let some kind of other rule apply.

Now as far as you having the fastest srx is only cause i did not build one cause my sxr never got beat by one ( testamonials Ken Laurin, Wesley Macnamara ,Dave
Mathieu , Mr. foucault Ovid Mathieu, etc) and keep in mind i was running these radar runs when you were still in school , and they all went belly up, wisdom comes with age , maybe not a good thing rockys . Alban , Panage lake , Windy lake , Mindemoya, Clear lake ,Espanola and others ) only lost one of them
Ian from the sportsman beat me in panage lake .

Just in case you think that my inquiries are for my sled ,there not, i ran 5 days this year and had 1 win and 4 seconds , just behind the canadian tire fellas , but i gave the 700 srx all it can handle today with my little 600 so its getting better . The 700 ran 116 at rockys and it was avg 1.5 mph slower today than i was ? My comments are to try to direct you and others in keeping nbssr alive as i like racing alot, and have seen these operations fail after a few years , we may even be interested in sponsering next year under our business ,

My comments are only in hope that nbssr improves there product (so they can keep providing a awsome event ) as if you and i owned it we would want to have

1- longivity
2- profit
3- equality

Last edited:
Myself having the fastest is only because you didn't build one? That's a pretty bold and rude statement, Vince. Basically then, you're saying that you must be a far better tuner? Well, congradulations then. I don't have time for this.

sorry if i offended you ryan , just having some fun , obviously we dont agree on this subject so lets hope it was positive critism , and move on ,, see you soon

positive critisizm ans too much home made wine....lol...I really want to see this sport of speed racing grow and attract more people to these events...when I ran 110 with a single piped sx I was sooo happy and proud but knew I would never win the class since I need to beat the srx700....so that sx will not enter and pay the $30 anymore.
I totally respect the tuning and hours of work that go into getting ANY of these sleds to run as they do.....and I am jumping for joy when I see a sled beat its own personel record in the pro class....Ryan I think I would jump for joy if I seen your sled reaxh the 150....I would buy you a beer and toast your accomplishment.

Back