SRX jackshaft broke off

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
Has anyone else had a jackshaft shear off at the bearing on a proaction sled?My bud had his break off on his 01 SRX yesterday pretty well flush with the back side of the bearing by the airbox.I don't know if he's going to bother to fix it now or wait until later this summer of fall but I can't say as I've ever heard of one doing this before.

I have never heard of a broken jackshaft on any modern sled to be honest.

At least it happened at the end of the season.

One other member had it happen this season on a srx('01 i think)did the bearing go out and he still was running it??

I take off the grease seal in that bearing every season and stuff some fresh lithium grease in it. They are not maintenance free and often overlooked same as the drive shaft bearing.

We could spin what was left of the shaft easily so the bearing was plenty free and not noisy and we also checked the track to make sure it would spin so as to verify the chain in the chaincase was still intact.We had to tow it about half a mile to get to a spot that we could load it onto the trailer.

a few years ago my chain broke and coiled up at the top gear, the jackshaft broke off right at the bearing , i welded it , and made it home 300miles what a vibration , but i made it ...

Mine snapped off in the same spot about 2 weeks ago on my 02 ViperER.I had never heard of this either.Sled has a lot of miles on it,but the brg was fairly new.Maybe they shouldn't be hollow.Can't complain too much it has 22,000 very hard klm's on it.

You mean like this?
Mine snapped off about 6 weeks ago with 5,400 miles on it. The bearing feels good. The rust around it is a tell take of a bearing going bad.
I had never heard of a shaft breaking either until mine did. A few others have broken in the same place.
Make sure to check the belt alignment when it is replaced. I assumed my new shaft would line up as the old one did. I blew two belts in 50 miles on a sled that had never blown a belt since it was new. The aluminum frame where the bearing bolts in can move side ways a little and should be pushed towards the carbs before the set screws are tightened. The voice of experience.

Good luck.

Attachments

• 100_2646 (Small).jpg
    100_2646 (Small).jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 100_2669 (Small).jpg
    100_2669 (Small).jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 9
iahacker said:
You mean like this?
Mine snapped off about 6 weeks ago with 5,400 miles on it. The bearing feels good. The rust around it is a tell take of a bearing going bad.
I had never heard of a shaft breaking either until mine did. A few others have broken in the same place.
Make sure to check the belt alignment when it is replaced. I assumed my new shaft would line up as the old one did. I blew two belts in 50 miles on a sled that had never blown a belt since it was new. The aluminum frame where the bearing bolts in can move side ways a little and should be pushed towards the carbs before the set screws are tightened. The voice of experience.

Good luck.

Exactly like that!!!!

Broken Jackshaft

I just posted a new one. Mine did the exact same thing. A 2001 SRX with 8500 miles. Had all bearings replaced at the beginning of he season. Actually the bearing is still fine.

Back