just a little 600

As soon as I get out on it I'll get some updates. The wait here is killing me. :o| Maybe it's time for another trip across the lawn. hmmmm.

It looks really cool, but I have to ask...why the 128 X13.5?? Just because or do you feel it's a better trail track or what?

LaLaLa

Uh, yeah, I understand that the FCat skid does require the special track. Let me put it another way then. Why was the FCat skid chosen for the project? Was it just because he had it laying around, or did he go out and buy it just for this project? I ask because not everyone loves that narrow track, it has a different feel in handling character then a regular 121 x 15 does and maybe he had a Firecat and liked that aspect of it and adopted it to his Yamaha. Just curious why it was done as it was.

For me, the FCat's biggest appeal is the narrow feel of the tunnel. figure a way to have the narrow tunnel with the 15" track and I'd be sold.

i think he chose it because its just a very good riding skid, and a great performance skid. He probably found a good deal on one too. I know one thing that has always been decent about cat's is their rears. Too bad the skids, just like the rest of cats, dont hold together.

I agree with your last statement, and thats coming from a Cat owner. I will be wrapping up my project 97 ZR 440 this summer with the addition of a 02 tunnel and needed to decide on which sled would become my next project. I was originally considering another Cat ZR 600, but after reading about all the problems they were having I decided it was time to come back to Yamaha and frankly I can't wait to get started.

well, I hadn't been on the site in a while so I'll give an update on how it's running. I don't have too many miles on it as it's not my primary sled. Actually, my buddy has more on it than I do from when his sled was down. The engine runs real strong and is pretty much bullet proof as the 700 tripple with pipes is a proven setup.

As for the f-cat suspension, that was chosen for it's preformance and ride. Both of which are better than the pro-action. Plus it weighs less, although I don't have actual numbers. My first attempt at brackets to adapt it to the wider tunnel put the suspension too far forward, I ran out of tension adjustment at the rear idlers, and the track would ratchet bad, hitting the front heat exchanger. The second round of brackets fixed that problem, and I now have it setup so I can put the skid in any pro-action yamaha. It rides very well, espically going hard through the bumps. So well in fact that I ended up putting a new suspension in my warrior as the ride just didn't compare anymore.

The biggest problem that I had with the sled was when I went to large face gages. The tach I had was from a twin and didn't work with the tripple. I have a replacement now so I can see how the clutching actuall is. It pulled real hard before but I had no idea where the rpms were.

Last edited:
no problem. It's all straightened out.

That reminds me of another great thing, ALL of the parts and changes (except the cat suspension and track) were from people on this site. Everything from the new motor, pipes, gauges, etc. to selling the stuff I took out was done through this site. :rocks:

Another update-
out riding this past weekend on the '600' and it ran great. I'm running a 660' setup and pulled my buddy's piped XC800 with no problem. I was running about 1000 rpm low too. Didn't have time to change to my other clutch setup or make any real changes. Just some trail riding and out on the lakes. This sled does not like to go slow and lifts the skis like you wouldn't believe. The cat skid rides great, much much better than the pro action, but still doesn't compare to the m10. The only bumps that got me were the ones the front end couldn't take up. I must say I'm very pleased, just have to get the clutching tuned in now. ;)!

I don't see any problem with a 15" track. The difficulty would be the 128" length. The skid would be too long for a standard track. I know the new polaris (06's) have a 15 x 128 track so they are available. Probably just add a couple wheels to the outside of the rails.

I need to work a the clutching a bit. 8ca's engaging at 5000, but only reving to about 8100. I'm about 1000 rpms low so have to remove some weight. I can't remember what rivits I have in, or secondary settings off the top of my head. This setup is more for drags, I know backshift isn't the greatest.

I also have a corner-to-corner setup with 8ab's that I probably won't get to try this year.

Last edited:
monker said:
I need to work a the clutching a bit. 8ca's engaging at 5000, but only reving to about 8100. I'm about 1000 rpms low so have to remove some weight. I can't remember what rivits I have in, or secondary settings off the top of my head. This setup is more for drags, I know backshift isn't the greatest.

I also have a corner-to-corner setup with 8ab's that I probably won't get to try this year.

Definately leave the first hole empty on the 8CA's, and use around a 47/38 helix. 14.5 rollers, stock springs. It will pull like a train, and you could throw quite a bit of weight in the tips to get some decent top end, while maintaining the KILLER launch those weights provide.

thanks for the tip. hopefully I"ll get to run it again before the season ends, but it's not looking to good.

its always so disheartening when the snow disappears. Feels like winter will never come again. :o|

tell me about it. A couple weeks and I'll have forgotten all about it. Once September comes along though, it seems like it takes forever for the first snow storm and first ride.

Back