How do these look?

piston and rings

Are we still talking about an srx here and yes16000 km and sill strong well put it against a fresh one or a good working 800 and that will tell how strong it still is. The issue i discribed shows up when you have been at w.o.t under load like when racing a bubby in 1/4 mile or 2000 feet.
:o| :o|

i wouldnt replace the pistons.i have over 11,000 miles on my srx,puting in new rings only this year(for the first time).ive worked on MANY srx's with 10,000 plus miles never seen a blown piston. i seen a srx in houghton last year with 22,000 miles on it,never did the motor,this is why we ride yamaha's.

I know this is a old thread but, doing a leak down test on your motor is the only way to go period..... We have been doing that for years now,(with 10%or less leakage)It really tells the story on how tight your motor is. we haven't rebuilt one yet

And of course :yam:

Last edited:
I think they look great - BUT, that being said, If I already had my head off at 6,000 miles I would replace the pistons and rings now.

its not all the information needed

What has not been mentioned here is you cant tell how good they are by simply looking at the top of the piston, how do you know if your rings dont have blow by looking at the top?? you have to pull a cylinder off or at least do a leak down test, its not how much compression the cylinder can build, but how much it will lose very quickly. I bet since your running yamalube, if you pull off a cylinder, youll find that the pistons are black below the 2nd ringland, all around the sides where the wristpin hole is located and the bottom of the cylinders are all black in the transfer ports as well from blow by being inhaled into the transfer ports after it has blown by the 2nd ring.
Looking at the tops will get you a good idea on wash, which by the way is plenty rich, should never burn it down till its at least 50 below!!!! You can also look to see if any of the nicasil is worn thru around the exh port top edge and the transfer ports, but beyond that you cant see the shape of the piston/rings.

WELL said and thats why i did mine at 10000,not for fun because it was time for mine to be done

Back