Feedback in Steering wheel???

BigRed700

I think I must of bought a Friday afternoon truck.
2004 Silverado Ext cab 4X4 Z71

I have feedback in my steering wheel. It feels like someone is hitting it while I am driving, mostly when I am turning. I had it looked at back in 2006 of course when it still had warranty, and all they did was grease the steering shaft.
I have done a bit of research and I think it might be the upper intermediate shaft. I dont know If I am going to have to replace it or if I can grease it.
Has anyone ever greased theirs or changed it before. If so, Is it difficult?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Mike

All you have to do is regrease the steering shaft. There is a kit available from the dealer that makes it easier. They have also redesigned the shaft and there is a newer model if you want to spend the money. I work at a Chevrolet dealer. We grease or replace shafts everyday. Jeff Wurl

Thanks Jeff.
If I replace the shaft with the newer one will it solve the problem permanently or just another fix to get me by for another couple years, and then need greasing as well?
Mike

Grease

This is definately your problem. I had them put a new shaft in mine and it didn't do a damn thing. Greased it up myself and it went away. Buy the kit....you'll need it for the plug that goes in the shaft when greasing. After that, you can put your own grease in the syringe and do it with the same kit over and over. I was doing mine like every 15k miles on my old truck. The "feedback" that you are talking about is VERY annoying.

Madmatt

I think I will buy the grease kit and take care of it myself.
Thanks for all of your input/advice.
Mike

Yea this is a service bulletin on older Silverado's. First go around through service gets greased if that doesnt fix it gets a new I Shaft. For some reason Chevy or their manf. cannot make I shafts, they are replaced on Silverados, Malibus, and Impala/Monte Carlos on a daily basis at my work. All for the same reason, clunk in the steering wheel.

Last edited:

Back