Viper Tether

sickric

Question, Summer project. I want to wire in a tether switch on my 2002 Viper, where do I hook into the wiring and where do you mount the switch/button? I looked up old threads and did not find a lot on the subject.
Thanks

You need to put the tether switch in series with the kill switch. Mount the tether switch and run the two wires up to the handlebars. Remove the padded cover and you will see a collection of wires. Find the pair of wires which go to the kill switch. You'll find the kill switch wires coming from the throttle lever block will be about 6" long and have "bullet" type connectors on them. There is also a set of wires coming from the TORS switch. Fire up the engine and disconnect one two wires in each pair to determine which pair is for the kill switch and which pair is for the TORS switch. You can get these same "bullet" type connectors from an auto parts store and install them on the tether switch wires, put a female connector on one and a male connector on the other. Unplug one of the kill switch wires and plug one of the tether wires to the kill switch wire and the other tether wire to the wire which was connected to the kill switch wire. Fire up the engine and check the operation of the kill switch and the tether switch. You are good to go.

Can anyone send me a picture of where they mounted there teather ( out side view) ? also a picture of how the wires are connected? ( under handlebars)

Still would like to see a picture of wiring and mounted switch if anyone has time ,now that the snow is gone.
Thanks

the only problem with that is if you go to race it. itwont pass.both killswitch & tether got to be working.

I am having trouble guys, I know this should be easy but I unplugged the kill switch wires and the sled keeps running.

Can anyone send me a picture of the teather wired in ,with both the kill switch and the teather functional ?

I am getting different instructions on what wires to splice into.
HELP!

I made a set of 3 jumper wires with male and female ends, and connected to & from the bullet connector. I tried every possible combination of wire connections on the 3 wire kill switch harness with the tether in series.
Then ran the machine,
I either got the stock kill to work or the stock kill to work only if the tether was pulled first.
I can not get both to work.

What am I doing wrong ?

Someone out there has to know what I need to do. This project is becoming a pain, and no offense to you SRX guys, but when you tell me its 1 of 2 wires, the Viper has 3 wires, the system must be different.
HELP !!!
:whine:

The teather is for a yamaha, and yes it is normally open, but the kill switch on a viper is normally open too.
I was told the whole system on the viper is normally open.
I should be able to get this to work.???Right ??

O.K. here is the deal.

Thanks for everyones input, most of you guys that gave me advice were on the right track, but we have a tiny little detail that needs clarification......

YOU MUST WIRE THE SWITCH IN PARALELL ,NOT IN SERIES !!!!!!!!

Then ,and only then,all is well in Viper land.(both switches work)

That was the only reason I was having so much trouble, I kept trying the tether switch -in line, (series) I should have known better , but I have an excuse, I work 3rd shift and when I get to my projects, I am usually pretty burned out and with a few beers in me ,start to have trouble thinking straight.
So there you have it, case solved.

Thanks to everyone who posted .

Sorry to bump a old thread I have a viper and vmax and want to add tethers are they normally open system?
My sleds are in Canada and I'm in Michigan I can run out and check but I want to take the tethers when I go back up to ride.
thanks
rob

Back