Street Legal Yamaha IT490?

ws6transam

Hi guys,
Next week I am going to head out and take a look at a 1984 Yamaha IT490. Although it needs some work, the bike is titled for street. Since I once owned a street-legal IT250, I am really excited about this motorcycle. There is something which happens that defies description when one is riding a two-stroke enduro around town: People stop what they are doing and look up to stare. I used to ring-a-ding-ding past Ron Jon's surf shop in Cocoa Beach Florida, and the bike got more attention than a red bikini.

This IT490 needs electrical work, but the mechanicals are supposedly in good shape. I plan on doing a ground-up restoration on the motorcycle over the winter so that it'll be ready for spring. If it's half the motorcycle that my Australian-market IT250 was, I'll be grinning ear-to-ear come springtime. The ORV trails of Michigan have been calling my name for a long, long time and I haven't been able to answer them!

2 stroke bikes are by far my favourite! Your right they do get alot of attention, especialy with 4 tuned pipes hanging out the back.

RZ, I had my scariest bike ride on a borrowed RZ500: In Alice Springs, NT Australia, on Larapinta Drive. I pinned the throttle and took it up to terminal velocity: 245 KPH or so. Then I hit a bump and my head came up over the windscreen. The wind shear tore my head back (I was wearing my enduro helmet), and I nearly ran that bike off the bitumen into the rocks. FYI, there is no speed limit in the NT on Larapinta, and it's only one lane wide.

You are right: I'd love to have four out the back, but RZ's and RG500 Gammas are scarcer than hens teeth and command premium prices in the USA.

I have friend here that has an old RZ500... I think he found it in Canada, brought it back & now it just sits. Might have to do some investigation.....hmmm!

The bike is a blast to ride. The new stuff is sooo much more refined, and in alot ways faster. For the all out smile factor though, you cant beat a V4 on the pipe. If you can grab one from your friend I would recomend it highly. Many of the parts are still available in the states from other Yamaha models. You are close enough to the border that anything else can come from Canada.

Been looking for a 500 for some time, saw 2 At the bikers reunion in a town close by.
they were parked in the canadian tire parking lot. Real nice guys, they were a little leary at the start, seeing as i was bent over checking out the bikes with my year old son in the stroller parked between both bikes. Ive got 2 rz350 and they go like snot so i can only imagine how the next bike i one will go. (yes i really want one!)
Pat

Pat, The RZ with a set of pipes is similiar in power to a modern 600 or a slow 1000. It just does not have the frame or suspension to compare in handling. The engine delivers all it's power at once so the sensation on the bike is that you are really haulin. It takes a lot of gear changes to get the most out of it. Around town it tends to get very warm. An RZ is best enjoyed on a country road on a chilly evening or a race track.

Best of luck in your search. When I purchased mine it came as a package deal. 2 Bikes and a spare motor, along with assorted other parts. I kept the nice clean bike and sold the rest to fund the project. I really wish at the time there was a way to afford to keep it all. It would have been nice to mod one and restore the other.

Well guys, The guy with the IT decided to sell it to someone else before I could get out to pick it up.

I was pretty bummed until I found this: It is a 1992 Yamaha WR500.

Essentially it's the IT490 engine in a modern YZ250 chassis. Damon Bradshaw used to campaign this bike in the open class motocross series back in '91.

I'm going to restore it, then outfit it with lights, dual-sport tires, and hopefully a license plate :D

It's about 50 HP and weighs around 250 pounds.

dans_wr500.sized.jpg

Last edited:

Back