FireBlade + ZX10= 09R1

cacsrx1

Meet the UGLIEST R1 ever produced. Its got a small bump in power, wierd firing order, and a few other cool things....after 10 years of building good looking R1's, they come up with this.

Attachments

• 09MS_YZFR1_wht_S3-copye.jpg
    09MS_YZFR1_wht_S3-copye.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 12

Today's sport bikes are getting more & more strange in their angular shapes and I don't like them much at all anymore. They all look like they were designed to appear on a Babylon 5 episode. I want a nice, simple shape, and a good quality seat. FZR1000 looks really, really good.Nice & clean looking.

I am not happy with the appearance of the '09 R1 either. The performance this year should be much better though. They completely revamped the motor, added some stroke, and cut back the bore size....similar to the '98-03's, which had way more useable torque. The power should hit alot earlier, instead of it acting more like a smaller displacement bike. I am still not going to buy one, since it was not a big enough change, but this one should perform alot better than the '04-08's.

This is what they should have done for appearance, and removed that damn dual undertail exhaust.

Attachments

• 09r1b.jpg
    09r1b.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 2
Talk about a fugly front end and fairings, the whole bike looks fat. That cowl looks hideous with those single, round headlights. The new crank design sounds interesting though.

It doesn't hold a candle to the '05 R1 Raven as far as looks go, nor does any bike. Except maybe an '05 R6 Raven. :bump: I'd hold onto your '05 for a while if I was you, cacsrx1.

Last edited:
valin said:
I am not happy with the appearance of the '09 R1 either. The performance this year should be much better though. They completely revamped the motor, added some stroke, and cut back the bore size....similar to the '98-03's, which had way more useable torque. The power should hit alot earlier, instead of it acting more like a smaller displacement bike. I am still not going to buy one, since it was not a big enough change, but this one should perform alot better than the '04-08's.

Wrong... they shortened the stroke. 04-08= 77x53.6 09=78x52.2
I would imagine they are trying to gain low end with the 90 degree firing order. With the wierd firing order they had to add a counter ballancer. Their "small bump" in horsepower is prolly 2 or 3, nothing earthshattering. Its going to have to prove itself before I would consider one. Graves should have one on the dyno soon.

Oops, you are right cacsrx1. When I pulled up the comparison, I wasn't paying attention to which year was in which column. Hopefully they didn't make the powerband worse than it already is by shortening the stroke yet again.

valin said:
Oops, you are right cacsrx1. When I pulled up the comparison, I wasn't paying attention to which year was in which column. Hopefully they didn't make the powerband worse than it already is by shortening the stroke yet again.

Take a look at the crank on the 09, massive counterweights vs the older bikes. It still revs to 13750...but I wonder how quick. Heavy crank + counter balancer....I hope it revs faster than a harley. ;):D

i think it looks alright except for the rear of the bike exhaust and undertail is ugly. i would have to see it in person first. i thought the 07 r6's were ugly but overtime it kinda wore on me.

2006 was the first year of the new R6. :mrgreen: I would like to see it in person too but at the moment the new R1 is uglier than the R6 in my opinion. I still can't get over how dumb that front cowl/headlight design looks. I realize the ram air is built into there but add another headlight or something to fill the gap. It looks like it's missing two headlights from the factory. :rofl:

When I look at that bike I'm reminded of the 1999 YZF-R7 OW-O2. Not from a design or engineering standpoint, but from the red paint and tiny headlights, the front fairing is somewhat similar. :dunno:

Yamaha%20R7%20%205.jpg

09MS_YZFR1_wht_S3+copye.jpg

Last edited:

Back