clutch set up sxr 500

Maim

Super Moderator
ok here it goes lol. i have 2001 sxr 500 and i need a better trail/lake set up. it has 1500 km on it. 1.25 ripsaw track engine torque limiter roller secondary (bought off of srx 1400). i am going to keep the stock pipe and do the reed notch to it. currently the set up is bang on but the track and the notch are being installed as i speak. primary is currently set dead nuts on stock yamaha spec for engagement and top rpm. should i change any of this? :ORC :ORC

I think vmaxjohn might be able to help you get your clutches tuned in on that 500. From what i have read, his setup really wakes this sled up.

vmj?? turk??? anyone?? the only set up i saw in clutch chart was for piped sxr 500. as i am not doing that any hints would be apreciated. post it here my e-mail is fubed right now. :yam:

here's what I'm trying on my 99 500 vmaxSX per vmj/turk:
8ab w/ 2.4 both holes; stock springs; 47/41 helix.
Haven't had a chance to test it yet but, sled is all stock so I'm a little worried about being able to pull that much weight through the 47 start angle. We'll see though.

Please post how that reed notch works out. If I do bog, I may try that and 1 tooth off top gear to get a little more low end grunt. Dave

My understanding is that this setup is for a stock 500. With the roller secondery you my not need as much helix though.

the roller secondary is for faster down shifts mainly. it does upshift faster but not a whole lot from what i have read on this site.

k is this bs or what? the yamaha tec told me not to spend money on multiangle helix. says the stock helix is the best for powder performance. the tec is the local clutch guru so i want some opinions on this pls. and vmjhon or turk should i use less helix with the roller secondary or more as per vmj 500 setup?

question

are the 8dj weights the same as the 8ab? the dj is what the 01 came with stock. the ab was 98 and older and only used 15mm rollers. my 01 uses 15.6mm rollers.

oh and i weigh 220lb with no gear.

please helpme. as i am starting to doubt my sanity.

thanks for the link 98srx6. i think im gonna stay with my 8dj weights. the 8ab vmaxjhons set up calls for holds a little harder at the higher rpms but looking at the 2 weights on the curve out of the bottom they are basicly the same. correct me if im wrong but from the sheets i wouldnt be gaining much. :ORC

Hi Maim,
Bleive the local tech...he is a genius when it come to Yami's.
I have tried some of the machines he has tweekes...WOW.
He has done some work to my machine and has given me advise.
Unfortunatly there is not really one set up that will satisfy all riders and styles. If you really describe what you are looking for he will provide the right advice and set up.

Go Team Blue!!!!

lol gonna have to do that. i have decided to let moe set mine up. he and guy are buddies. says he has a couple good set ups for mine for trail runnin. gonna set my et410 and my bros viper too. he was invoved in the intal set up for the srx. from what he has told me it came out of the box with their specs. go figure.

white water has ice already. im still assembling my sxr. wannna have it done so when there is enough snow on the lake i can test it on the gun with the other guys. :rockon:

Last edited:

Back