My other sled

archer

is a 1983 SS440 bought at a farm auction for $400. Comet 94 (I think) but otherwise stock. 2200 miles and in excellent shape. Feels like its going 120 but probably not. Is there anything I can do to kick it up a notch without sacrificing reliability? Wife wants to keep up with the SRX!

wow you are askinig for a lot to make it run with the SRX....I love those ss440, yours must be blue....great little sled, I would leave it stock....anything else like a pipe will just kill the MPG.

Na just kidding. I need to leave it stock so my '79 exciter doesnt get left behind by itself! It is blue and its a rough ride but it sounds and runs great.

see if a newer style shock spring will fit in it to make it longer travel. i think it only had 4" of travel. we are doing up a 1981 ss440 and are puttin in the skid out of my enticer II whitch has 8" of travel. it is also gettin the stock track off of my sxr so it will have 121"" track insead of 118".

It sure is! 120 or so lb's lighter than the SRX, no studs, 4 inch carbides. I can flick it around on top of the loose snow without a problem.

last year in the black hills I was spinning shitties with my 79 srx in the middle of a meadow, people were laughing their tails off, and not one person thought a sled could do that on snow(hard pack). love that sled but I think it's time for it to go.

Ive got a 79 Exciter 440, Runs good fires up within 3 pulls everytime. It is a hoot to ride and is pretty fast. GPS'd her at 75 mph wasent all she had either! Not bad for an old timer most new 440s barely go that fast.

ss440

If anyone is interested I might have a parts sled for sale. Seat is ripped and motor torn apart, but otherwise in good condition. Also have a very good hood for the ss I might sell. I am not 100% sure I will sell, since I am not that mechanically inclined and have no one to help me put it back together if it is all there. I can send a picture to you if you need one of hood and sled.
Lwiker@aol.com
York, Pennsylvania

Last edited:
Pics

Does anyone have pics of their 80's ss 440? I'm starting to get pretty interested in finding myself an old sled. I find the ss 440 pretty sharp, but there's not a lot of pics around.

Thanks,

-Jon

Mountain SXr,
There you go. Not the best picture but they are cool looking.
Doug

Back