SXR500 pics and my old SRX600

Zaj 243

Heres my new to me SXR500, bought it last winter but never put more than 10 miles on it. Mostly stock with just clutching and drop backets, 96 studs.

HPIM0927.jpg

HPIM0928.jpg

HPIM0929.jpg

And this is my old SRX, sold it this past summer. Had long travel shocks, drop brackets, 1.25 track, adjustable transfers, bender clutching and can, and more.

HPIM0761.jpg

HPIM0762.jpg

And this is my other winter hobby, this pic from last Dec., earliest ever. As of today the lake is froze all the way across, just need another cold week and I might be able to break that record.

lakedec.jpg

The srx was getting old and sloppy haha, the sxr was female owned since new and like brand new. I sold the SRX for more than I paid for it after 2 years of riding, and I picked up the new sxr for a steal also. Eventually I'll get a SXR600 or 700, the 500 deff is lacking in low to mid power. I have a set of Aaen pipes i'm waiting to install but they might be more trouble than they are worth.

how come my 1999 sx 500 sits way lower in the back than that one. I am new to snowmobiles and that was the way i brought it. Is there somthing wrong with mine?

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 465
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 462
I bet yours is fine. he's got drop brackets on it. they raise the tunnel up off the skid a few inches.

silversnow's got it right, I have 2.5 inch drop brackets in my SX-R, they are 75% for looks and 25% for deep snow ridability. It really does help in deep snow breaking trail as the running boards don't get hung up like the stock setup did. I still need a 1.25 track and hopefully some 8 tooth drivers eventually so I can stud it up also. I'm really hoping I can get the 500 to perform the way i'd like.

where did you get the drop brackets and how hard was your install. I'd like to try and lift my Viper but worried about losing the good handling of the stock position. Any tips?

I've made the drop brackets myself, 2 inch ones for my srx and i went with 2.5 inch on the sxr. CBPerformance sells a kit complete with instructions that would be the best way to go. My brackets aren't as nice, but they get the job done. I believe the CBPerformance kit comes with a template for where to drill all the holes, without that it takes alot of very precise measuring. A couple millimeters off will bind the suspension right up. It does change the handling a little. It does add some ski pressure. I've let my limiter straps down and extra 15mm, reset the center shock spring to zero preload, run my FRA on the softest, and set my transfers with about 13mm gap on both sides. The sled steers great, floats better on deep snow, and transfers nice. I am not an expert suspension guy but my setup seems to work pretty nice.

bigd1000rr said:
how come my 1999 sx 500 sits way lower in the back than that one. I am new to snowmobiles and that was the way i brought it. Is there somthing wrong with mine?
Your SX is equipped with the lower 8" skid like the SRX's instead of the 11.5" ones of the SX-R's which gives it a lower cg and ideally makes it better suited for flatter cornering and groomed trails.

what riser do you got on that 500, i got the same exact sled and would much rather have my bars like that...and did you have to do any extensions.

Thats a 3 inch powermadd riser block, no extended cables needed. I believe this is as high as you can go, 4" would pull the cables too much. Its very comfortable, i'm 6'1.5" and its about right for aggressive trail riding.

Zaj 243 said:
Thats a 3 inch powermadd riser block, no extended cables needed. I believe this is as high as you can go, 4" would pull the cables too much. Its very comfortable, i'm 6'1.5" and its about right for aggressive trail riding.
alright. lookin into gettin one....how hard was it to install.

sxr123- installation is easy, i dont think you'll run into any problems.

sxtheviper- its funny I have a 700 engine sitting in the shop out of a running sled (along with carbs, exhaust, airbox, cdi, etc., and was thinking about swapping, but didn't want to kill the resale value of my sled. So far i'm a little disappointed with its performance, but i'll get it running up to par hopefully. I need to drop to a 20T in the chaincase, and get my engagement up around 47-4800 and I think i'll be happy. Nice install, deffinetly got some ideas going through my head now!

Zaj 243 said:
sxr123- installation is easy, i dont think you'll run into any problems.

sxtheviper- its funny I have a 700 engine sitting in the shop out of a running sled (along with carbs, exhaust, airbox, cdi, etc., and was thinking about swapping, but didn't want to kill the resale value of my sled. So far i'm a little disappointed with its performance, but i'll get it running up to par hopefully. I need to drop to a 20T in the chaincase, and get my engagement up around 47-4800 and I think i'll be happy. Nice install, deffinetly got some ideas going through my head now!
alright thanks....are you sure there was no extentions needed? and how tight are the cables.

Yes i'm sure no extensions are needed. Had the same riser on my srx then moved it to my sxr. The cables retain the correct amount of slack at all steering positions, the cables are not tight.

Back