Bringing a battery back to life??

Sno-Xr

Anyone ever have any luck with bringing a battery back to life after it has sat for a couple of years? The battery was pretty new, but the sled has sat 2 years without any use.
It was low on water so I added some, but did not add any acid. Ive been told that the acid usually remainds, but the water can evaporate? Any truth to that or am I headed down a dead end street?
Sled is going up for sale and really dont want to buy a new battery because I wont re-coup it from the sale. (Its a $1000 sled ,wont bring anymore money either way!)

you can try to charge it slow 2A for a few days,never really had
any luck with them small utility batts when they start going south, i top em
off with acid so you don't dilute the remaining acid,sometimes they come back then sometimes they don't...give it a try.

Thanks, thats kinda what I was expecting.
Probably should have top it off with acid like you said .

Optimate 4 is where it's at!!!!!! I've got one (dad made me buy my own:whine: :whine: :shock: :mad: ) and it's amazing the dead batteries these Optimate battery tenders can bring back to life......

Good day to you guys'.Not saying it's wrong or right but lots of opinions on battery recharge,at the point where batt. is dead what do you have to lose? I've had the small and auto batt. go almost dead and would not take a charge,so an oldtimer told me that if you give them high charge(boil) them they will recupe! So what did I have to lose,gave my small batt. from my sled which was also 2 years old,turned the charger to 55 amp.The batt.perked away for about an hour or so,made sure the fluid was up,guess what? Batt. is as good as new!!!all the cells have full charge( hydrometered) them.Now I say no more.What do have to lose give 'er a full boost,maybe they will come back maybe not.Word of CAUTION, charge battery outside of building, lots of sulfide comes off,very EXPLOSIVE!!!,have fun....

wander if that will work for my motorcycle battery.It was new about 6 years ago.Bike has been sitting in my mom's shed for about 5 years.Battery is dead.Tried charging with my charger at 2.10 and 15 amps.It really won't charge much at all.I can hear the bubbling when charging it.Maybe I should take it to my mom's place and put it on the big charger she has there and boil it to..kapusta...I'll let you know then. :dunno:

I have had success with bringing old batteries to life by emptying the old acid and refilling with new.

I can believe that charging a battery at high amps can revive it, but if your battery charger is not an old one, it may not work. Modern battery chargers will only charge to a certain level and then kick out to prevent overcharging.

Back