homemade mountain peformance transfer kits

backcountry_vmax

as anyone made a set of transfer straps like the ones on mountain-performance.com i want to make a set for my 1998 vmax but i dont want to spend a whole pile of money.does anyone have ideas?

im in the same boat right now.. ive been talking to rx-1mountain and he has made his own t.e.k. I pmed him and this is what he said...

yes i made my own transfer enhancement kit. i bought 2 belts about 1 1/2 inches wide and 20 inches long. you will also need 2 bushings as big as the top of your transfer rods. i just cut the top of my transfer rods off wiht a grinder and use the tops for the bushings! and just drill your own holes in the belts just as long as your backarm dont go ahead and touch those wheels in between the rails. if you will wait til saturday i will give you the measurements that on mine right now. im going away for 3 days tomorrow and i will get it then.

it seems real basic. i just cant think of what to make the straps outa??

yah thats seems pretty easy. i heard of a guy using a snowmobile belt so i might try that and do you take the entire rods then and just install the straps

transfer rods go away completely. bolt that joins lower and upper scissor needs to be cut flush with the nut, or it will hit the rails under load. lower portion of scissor should end up in a vertical position.

here is a picture of the mountain performance ones...but i want to know how to make a set of my own becuase i find find 50$ plus shipping too expensive and it just seems easier to make a set

Attachments

• transfer enhancement kit.jpg
    transfer enhancement kit.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 172
i made 2 kits it the last year for my mountain max. very easy. but my straps were around 28 inches. the first kit i made i just cut the teeth out of an old drive belt and drilled some holes then my kit was made. very easy to do if u have bushings to take place of the transfer rod. and dont make the same mistake i done guys!! check behind the bottom of the back arm and check if u have a small bar goin across from rail to rail to prevent the back arm from going between the rails...this mistake was very expensive. my rails are ruined....but if u put this kit on right its the best thing u can do to the no action skid!. if u like ski lift u will love the kit. ill never ever put my transfer rods on again. not even adjustible rods.

my belts are just tight enough so the back arm dont go ahead so its the slackest adjustment. i get alot of ski lift like that. but if u want more ski lift it would make sence to tighten the straps and loosen your straps by the front arm and do the opposite for less ski lift. if u do make the kit and put's it on your v-max please tell me how it worked out. ive only seen the kits on long track yamahas.

the stock transfer rods do not allow the rear sissors to collaps backwards (very far) allowing mega weight transfer to the rear of the skid. but they also do limit how far forward the rear sissors can go so they dont collaps on themselves. the strap limits forward movement, but give u maxximum transfer to the rear. the strap, once adjusted so the bottom bar of the sissor arms is vertical, is a done deal. btw i know i cant spell. sissors??? wtf i know there is a c in there somewhere. im an idiot...

the trick to transfer control is in the location of the strap tightness per scissor point. shortening the upper mounting point of the strap and lengthing the lower mounting point is all in ratio and proportion to each other. each point moves independently from each other, and depending how you cinch or loosen the pivot points via holes in the straps, increases or decreases coupling and transfer. the rear cross shaft that venture 700 refers to actually will inhibit transfer if left in place. but will destroy things if allowed to collapse too far rearward. relocate this crossshaft about 1/2" to the rear, as a preventive measure.

According to my instructions that come with the kit, they say to remove and discard the shaft and don't reinstall it. SOC

sockeyerun did your back arm ever go to far back and get stuck between the rails without the shaft? because mine sure did when i dident have the shaft. or is there some bolt or nut i have to trim that i dont know about?. because i never bought the kit or seen the instructions.

kit

sockeyerun said:
According to my instructions that come with the kit, they say to remove and discard the shaft and don't reinstall it. SOC
In the picture of the kit from MP, there is 2 longer bolts and a smaller bushing. I can't figure out where these go. What did the instructions tell you?

picture

snowdad4 said:
the spacer and bolts go in the upper scissor to create a mount for the straps to attach to.
Could I bother you to post a picture of this? To me, it looks kinda small for 2 straps. Thanks.

Pics

Here are a few pics of the kit. Really for $50 bucks the kit is a steal. It is really one of the best mods I have made to my '02 MM... But for the guys building their own, more power to ya!

Attachments

• MPI transfer enhancement kit.jpg
    MPI transfer enhancement kit.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 182
  • MPI transfer enhancement side shot.jpg
    MPI transfer enhancement side shot.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 150

Back