R.I.P. Dan, Ride in control Guys!

WeSled2

We lost a good friend this weekend. Dan was 65 yrs. old and riding to meet up with his daughter. When approaching a hill on the trail another snowmobile came from the other side and became airborn causing a head on collission with Dan and taking his life immediately.
Dan was a great father, great community man and loved to ride sleds. He will be missed!
Please, guys, ride in control and always assume someone is around the corner coming the other way.

My parents live in the Phillips area...and let me tell you, Dan was a wonderful person, he was well known and very well liked in the community.

He will be missed immensely.

Please Everybody...ride safe this season, too many lives are lost unnecessarily on snowmobiles!!

sorry to hear about the loss of dan.

last year by me, there was a head on collision over a hill incident too, where both drivers were killed and i believe 1 of the drivers' kids. they were riding w/him.

remember to be safe out there guys. take it easy on the hills and around corners.

sorry to hear about Dan.We had 2 snowmobile deaths here also,1 before xmas and 1 just this past Friday night.Not good to hear these things do happen.

Link to Snowmo deaths WI

Very very unfortunate accident!!

Based on the following link, it looks like the fatality rate is off to a bad start in WI.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/es/enforcement/safety/snowstats.htm

I do not miss the tight trails & congestion that you guys have back in the mid west. As a rider from WI, I recall many close calls over the years when trail riding, especially in N.Wi on the busy weekends. We left there in 85 & the sleds did not have the HP they have now!!

While we have crowds out here, there are plenty of areas to get away from the idiots with more horsepower than brains. #$%&*

That is why I like "boondocking". My wife & I can ride all day & maybe see 2 other sleds!! We are fortunate in that way.

My thoughts go out to this mans family.

mopar1rules said:
sorry to hear about the loss of dan.

last year by me, there was a head on collision over a hill incident too, where both drivers were killed and i believe 1 of the drivers' kids. they were riding w/him.

remember to be safe out there guys. take it easy on the hills and around corners.

Up north this weekend a similar 3 person fatality- 2 on 1 sled, and 1 on the other all died. It was a head on collision. This was in Vilas county.

RIP, to all those involved in ANY fatalities on the trails this year.

Ride in control, or don't ride. Please.

found this about snowmobile fatalities in Canada: Pretty sad to see this..
Alcohol and Recklessness – Key Contributors to Snowmobile Deaths

Along with the snow inevitably comes a number of snowmobile deaths. According to the Canada Safety Council, about 95 Canadians die every year in snowmobile incidents. And the Council fears this number will continue to rise.

About 2/3 of snowmobile mishaps involve alcohol. Drowning and hypothermia are the leading causes of death and the 15-24 age group has the most deaths and injuries.

Snowmobiling – now a multibillion dollar a year industry in North America – continues to grow in popularity. Canada has @ 700,000 registered snowmobiles. They cover a total of 1.65 billion km over the winter months. 80% of that riding is on maintained club trails. Off-trail riding represents only 20% of the riding, but 80% of the fatalities.

These deaths, however, are highly preventable. While most riders are responsible, the profile of high-risk riders is known and can be targeted. They tend to be thrill seekers who speed, ride after dark, and misuse high performance vehicles by zooming across roads, open water - any surface, no matter how thin the ice or rough the terrain.

While difficult to enforce, laws for off-road vehicles do exist, such as:

Operating a snowmobile while intoxicated is a criminal offense and carries the same penalties as operating an automobile while intoxicated. These include fines, loss of license, a criminal record and eventually, convictions.
Helmet use is mandatory.
Following a few precautions will help ensure a safe and enjoyable excursion:

Obey the law. Wear a helmet and do not drink and drive.
Retain body heat by wearing layered clothing.
Never ride alone and always inform someone of where you are going and when you plan to return.
When riding, always carry a repair and survival kit.
Get properly trained. Contact the Canada Safety Council for more information on the training courses available.

i had a pretty big scare this morning when my friend called me to ask if i knew who died up here in the park over the weekend... it turn out that the rider was the same age as one of my friends... who rides the area alot.... scrabbling on the phone tryin to think of who i could call to find out... didn;t wanna call his wife incase.. but it ended up not being him... but it still is a scarry feeling and one that reminds me how we can be here one day and gone the next...

My condolences to the families.

Back