Help with Smartcarb

Bullhead

Got a buddy with a 99 mountain max 600..having trouble with SmartCarb system and wants to bypass/disconnect. I told him you guys would be able help. Thanks!

No, just the standard three-flash at start-up. He just wants to completely bypass it....gotta be a way, right? Thanks

Well if it is not malfunctioning, then why do away with it?

My smart carbs work great on my 97 venture 600, well at least for temp adjusting. Since we are flatlanders I couldn't tell you if it actually works for altitude adjustment;)

You I see are in Mn, so there is no difference in altitude for you and I, unless trips out to where there are mountains occur.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough when I said he was having trouble with it. It doesn't run right at low speeds....but he really doesn't want the problem to be diagnosed, just wants to know if/how anyone knows how to disconnect/bypass the SmartCarb system. Thanks.

BH

unplug the wiring for the smart carb control box and install a non smart carb set of carb. That the only way i know how to elimate them you will also have to rejet the different carbs for your altitude and the way it runs by looking at how the spark plugs are burning after running it.

I had issues with mine. I eneded up putting not smarts on. You can bypass them by putting a resistor across each of the four connectors that plug into the solenoids. That will stop the solenoids from operating and it will also foul the unit into thinking they are they so you won't get that anoying code flash. I can't remember exactly what size resistor it is(I think 22ohms). You can use a multimeter to measure the resistance of the solenoid and match it. You would then have to rejet the carbs for good operation. The smart carbs are set rich and lean down with the solenoids firing.`

I went through this procedure last year. And like I said, I eneded up putting standard carbs on. The best $80.00 I ever spent.

Thanks guys... guess we need to start looking for some dumb carbs. Thanks!

BHM

Are you positive you are chasing the correct problem?

Ours ran poorly sometimes until I got the new style oil pump on it. It was not smart carb related at all. We had no diagnostics showing the smart carbs were showing any issues either.

Now it is like a new machine.

horkn said:
Are you positive you are chasing the correct problem?

Ours ran poorly sometimes until I got the new style oil pump on it. It was not smart carb related at all. We had no diagnostics showing the smart carbs were showing any issues either.

Now it is like a new machine.

Not my sled and I have never even seen the thing. Pretty sure it's the SC's but please tell me more about your sleds behavior before the remedy. Thanks so much!

BHM

Bullhead said:
Not my sled and I have never even seen the thing. Pretty sure it's the SC's but please tell me more about your sleds behavior before the remedy. Thanks so much!

BHM

It would foul plugs, and get boggy from time to time.

I forgot that this is a 99 we are speaking of, but at least have him verify the part # on the oil pump, and the setting of the cable.

In 97 all 600 twins (500s as well apparently) had a poor design oil pump that would fail. And when they failed, they failed WIDE open, dumping oil in, regardless of the position of the throttle.

I would think that if he has plugs that load up, that he should verify the oil pumps condition and how it is set.

If he disconnects the oil pump, and runs premix with new plugs and it still doesn't run well, then it is not the oil pump. But if that cures it, then you have your answer.

You never know, even the better 98+ design oil pump may fail, and it would do the same thing. The 97's just failed in relatively low miles.

Bullhead said:
Thanks! I'll run it by him and see.

BHM

That and it smoked like a MOFO!!!! I smoked myself out of the shed from the yammi last year while warming it up.

That is a tell tale sign of too much oil.

Back