whats a Viper silencer that won't loose power ?

NB-VIPER said:
Thanks for the info. You mean you got the hand adjustable nut from Yamaha for your control rods? Do you find it was worth the money ?

it is if you like to adjust the suspension while conditions change. when i am racing, i like to open them up a bit, and get the ski's to come up off the line and reduce track spin. if the conditions get bumpy, close them down a bit and it actually stiffens up the suspension. i guess when the rods are closed down, it transfers the weight between both shocks more and gives you a harder ride.

Are these hard to install ? Thanks for the reply. I think I should get a set of these nuts. I like to drive with ski's in the air. I have mine setup from dealer when I bought it. It has zero ski lift. Which sucks for the hole shot.

I have the mbrp trail and it fits nice, easy to install no mods needed. i had another one cant remember but i think dynoport full ceramic coated, nice looking but you had to drill hole and cut some plastic. sent it back

I just put a Rumble Pack on my Viper S and think it is a very nice silencer, especially for $169 shipped. Sounds good, not to loud, but a nice tripple sound. Fits perfect and looks better than an MBRP--IMO.

I have the MBRP trail silencer on my viper. I think it sounds great but is a little loud when the valves are open and your hard on the gas. I expected that when I bought it. I had a dynoport on my SRX last year and it was slightly louder than stock but had a great sound on my srx. I would reccomend either brand, dynoport is probably a little quieter but I love the sound of MBRP's. Any brand you go with your definately going to lose a few pounds from the huge stock silencer. I didn't have to change anything with the mbrp just bolted it on (This was on my viper). I did have a hard time getting the dynoport on my srx because there was a spring underneath which was a pain. Again I don't have any experience with the dynoport on a viper, just srx.

I dont care what any one says. There isnt a silencer out there that will make power for a sx viper or even srx. BUT it will lose weight which makes up for that .5 lose of hp.

Out of all of the cans, which would probably be the closest to the stock noise level? I had a MBRP on my sxr and that thing was too damn loud for my taste. I would like to lose some weight, but don't know if it's worth it.

I have posted about this situation several times, but no one seems to take me seriously. First off we own two identicle 2002 Vipers both with TPI's, 1.25" Camo tracks and Heavy Hitter clutch kits. I have tried the SLP, the Bender and the MBRP all on my Viper while leaving the other Viper untouched. All three silencers lost power. You could feel it in the seat of the pants and the rpm's dropped. That alone tells you something when the R's drop. With any of these silencers on, my sled lost 5-7 lengths in an 800-1000' drag race. When the stock silencer goes back on ,they are almost dead even. We own a heated shop with a drag strip right outside. We have owned 22 Yamaha's since 1982 and have alot of experience tuning them, so I am not "BS"ing here.
I do own another stock Viper silencer and for the heck of it I opened it up with a plasma cutter to see what's inside. If I get a chance ,I'll post a photo, but there wasn't much I could do in terms of trying to mod it. Obviously the baffles in the pipe itself is what is doing alot of the quieting of the engine. I would like a nicer triple sound too like the 700 SX motor had, but I am not willing to give up that much performance. If Power inc. still existed, now maybe they could achieve making one without losing power. As many know ,you need to keep a certain amount of backpressure and get the correct bounce back into the pipe to get the proper recharge effect on a 2-stroke motor. I personally think the baffles in the pipe have a different effect on the Viper than most sleds. I have had silencers on the 700SX and the 600 SX and never experienced power losses such as this.

Back