02 Viper code confusion??? 8 flashes...

pipdviper

If I am reading in here correctly, a code that keeps blinking all the same sequence is overheat related. Mine blinks the 2 times when started to show an all clear and then flashes 8 times (short flashes) and then keeps repeating itself. This happenes even when started at 29 degree temps and sitting overnight. (cold engine and coolant) My guess is that I have a sensor going bad. I am also having trouble with the handwarmers not getting hot. I am guessing this is a short in the wiring. I am going to pull the harness next week, check it and reroute it. Any help on the code issue is appreciated.

Another indicator should be shown on the digital gauge that indicates the type of problem.

Ding said:
Another indicator should be shown on the digital gauge that indicates the type of problem.

the temp light is flashing at t he same time. I think I have rub through issues somewhere. Yesterday the hand warmers were warm, cold, freaking hot, then cold!! It also developed a miss around 5k rpm's. The tach was jumping all around when it would miss. As the day went on it would go away for 5-10 miles sometimes then it would come back. "ol dependable is starting to give me some problems !! Now the 8 flashes went away.... maybe was low on fluid......? buy at an idle the tach jumps and it misses sometimes. I threw a code twice at idle but I missed it. I do know it had long and short flashes???

I had this issue just this past February -- 8 flashes.

Mine was a faulty thermo sensor -- had to replace it along with lead wire assembly.

I thought it was a rub through, but not until I replaced the thermo sensor did my flashes end, despite numerous found and fixed wire rub thrus by myself.

Mike

mntvipermn said:
I had this issue just this past February -- 8 flashes.

Mine was a faulty thermo sensor -- had to replace it along with lead wire assembly.

I thought it was a rub through, but not until I replaced the thermo sensor did my flashes end, despite numerous found and fixed wire rub thrus by myself.

Mike

Can you elaborate on the sensor/location for me please. Is this the one in the head? Thank you, XC

ViperXC said:
Can you elaborate on the sensor/location for me please. Is this the one in the head? Thank you, XC

ViperXC:

Yes, the thermo sensor plugs right into the header. You can't miss it. It's near the thermostat, it's got 2 wires that run into a lead harness that just connects right to the thermo sensor. Then the thermosensor screws right into the header.

If my memory is serving me, it requires a 14 mm wrench to remove. It swaps out pretty easily. But be prepared to basically replace most of your coolant as you will lose a good amount when you remove the faulty thermosensor.

Mike

Same problem on my viper last winter. A broken wire on the plug at the temp sensor was at fault. I was able to take a very small screw and fix the wire back to the plug instead of switching the entire harness. Tracking it down was easy thanks to all the help from this site! Now I have the wacky tach going on. It bounces all over the place. I'll let you know where I find the rub thru.

pipdviper, did you ever find the cause of your hand warmers being all over the map? I have the same problem, thought it was wiring in the handlebars but it still acts up now and then. Funny as I also had a broken wire at the coolant sensor/ thermistor.

Back