1981 srx 440

littleredsled

hey guys im looking to buy a 81 srx 440 motor its ported, polished, blueprinted, balanced, heads, forged crank, and was wondering what you guys think its worth cuz the guy cant remember how much he paid for it and wants me to give him a price and i wanan know what you guys think would be a good price for this............ in canadian dollar haha

Isnt this the year that Yammie took all the 440 off the market due to crank issues?

I know there are a few out there that "survived" & are considered collectible, but..how do ya know this is the real thing &... as big-kid said:

Hand Grenade....BOOM !!!

Nice show piece...I wouldnt ride it!!

yes you are right but it was also due to clutch issues you had to set them up right otherwise they went pop and yes its gonna be like take it out once in the year for a few miles

the ports in that engine were big enough. forged crank. ? blueprinted. ? balanced. ? sounds like the guy who built it works on too many car engines....

its worth what you are willing to give and what he is willing to accept.

lets see some pics and go from thare...

Yeah, sounds to me like this guy is blowing smoke!

Got pics of it? Price will be dictated by overall condition, not just what he says he put into the motor. You should ask to see receipts for engine work too.

Just my $0.02 anyway.

A.

I would not trust what you have been told has been done. FORGED? / BLUEPRINTED? really? I am with the others , this is a car guy talking up his stock engine that was rebuilt. My opinion anyways.

im jumping on the bandwagon here to.... ive never ever heard of anything but a stock crank for these.... they arent the hand gernade everyone makes them out to be, providin they are in the right hands.... from what ive heard and believe, any of the cranks that lasted this long are gonna keep lasting... supposedly the ones the scattered did so fairly quickly....

either way in the right hands these motors are wicked... they actually made more horsepower than the 540's... as longer as the temp. was just right...

i believe we sold my 440 motor for like $300 maybe a bit more, and it was freshly rebuilt, and cleaned

tyler440 said:
im jumping on the bandwagon here to.... ive never ever heard of anything but a stock crank for these.... they arent the hand gernade everyone makes them out to be, providin they are in the right hands.... from what ive heard and believe, any of the cranks that lasted this long are gonna keep lasting... supposedly the ones the scattered did so fairly quickly....

i agree with you on this but if he is askin about this sled its gona be "in the wrong hands" as you say....

well i am thinking about makeing a race sled and the guy im buying it off of is a really good family friend and i always deal with him throught all my two stroke parts he owned his own shop were he worked on them they dynoed the sled at 120hp the guy he bought it off was gonna throw it in a airplane haha i dont know why (the little remote controled one by the way haha )

and i already have the body its mint shape im just getting the motor form another guy i got the body for my stock apex skis and some poo plastic skis i had haha so i aint complaining

NOW THAT OF WORKED GREAT. A 81 SRX MOTOR IN A PLANE. WHEN THE CRANK BREAKS WHILE YOUR IN THE AIR, YOU CRASH INTO THE TREE,S. GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW I HAVE HEARD IT ALL. 3:16 (yammie tony)

probably that's why he sold it.The plane in the tree picture didn't look so great.If the motor is that great and creates that much HP..it is worth $2000 then.Good for one ride at least.

Not likely that it made anywhere near 120 HP. They can be made durable though.

big-kid said:
a hand gernade ready to go off....

I snowcrossed one of these sleds years ago and it was nothing short of awesome.First make sure it has a re aligned 440 crank,a lot had 540 replacements put in.Next throw away that piece of crap that Yamaha called a clutch.Porting is very tricky and needs to be done with someone that has a great deal of experience.Regarding purchase of such an engine you really gotta know whats inside.Don't take anyones word for it. As for gernade,I rode mine for racing and recreation and rode it hard.I never had a single problem and sold the sled 4yrs later(sure wish I didn't)

big-kid said:
a hand gernade ready to go off....

first off ive had three of these sleds and they were very reliable. second, i was refering to this paticular sled being a hand gernade. who ever heard of a forged crank, blueprinted, engine in a 81 SRX deserves for it to blow up....

big-kid said:
first off ive had three of these sleds and they were very reliable. second, i was refering to this paticular sled being a hand gernade. who ever heard of a forged crank, blueprinted, engine in a 81 SRX deserves for it to blow up....
You are right! I have never heard about that stuff either.Sorry I get defensive about these sleds as mine was awesome and a lot of people who haven't spent time with the sled seem to want to bash them

Back