Phazers over the years...

Phazer_95

Hello all. I have been trying to find some information without any luck on changes made for the fan cooled Phazer over the years. Such as: Differences between a Phazer and a Phazer II? Any changes / updates made durring life span? Any years to be avoided? And last but not least, was the engine changed for the 1999 model?

Anyone with any info would be very helpful, thanks!

the phazer2 was wider than the regular phazer & the 2 also went with a longer suspension & track..121'' vs. 116''.....they didnt do to much with the engine because they were bullet proof..kinda like the banshee.(same engine for ever)

As I remember it when the 1999 models came out, the engine was mainly the same as the earlier models. One difference was that the 99-01 had a Mikuni oil pump and the older ones had Yamaha's own pump.

There were quite a few changes made to the 1984-1998 Phazers over the years, but not a lot of them were very noticeable. The year with the most changes was 1990 when the Phazer II came out.

Yamaha puts out an update manual for dealers every year and those from the years of the 2 stroke Phazer would tell you all the changes. I do not know if them being on line anywhere, hopefully they will be at some time.

Last edited:
99 & up also uses a different pipe due to the chassi change...the older ones were better power per wieght ratio.

It is my understanding that the 84-89 are all the same. In 90 they changed the front stance (wider) and the rear suspension (longer track also). In 91 they changed the clutches but all the rest is the same as the 90. So the 91-98 are all the same. Again this is my understanding.

Thanks for the info! Anyone know where to download any old literature or manuals? Or older Yamaha Manuals in general?

Daring said:
It is my understanding that the 84-89 are all the same. In 90 they changed the front stance (wider) and the rear suspension (longer track also). In 91 they changed the clutches but all the rest is the same as the 90. So the 91-98 are all the same. Again this is my understanding.

I'll have to look for the info But I think it was 93' when the clutches changed, 91' the type of drive chain/sprockets changed to the "silent" change. I think the 97 and 98's were the Phazer "SS" which had an increase to a 40" ski stance from the 37" stance of the Phazer II.The hold there value well, I'm hard pressed to find a Phazer I under 600$, Phazer II under 1000$ in my area. I'm dealing on a 93' Phazer II ST (long track) right now with 2500miles on it for 950$.

I found out that the gear shaft on the older ones 84-89 is 12 spline and newer is 15 spline...careful ordering gears...ask me how I know. LOL

Phazer_95 said:
Anyone know horsepower rating? Did that change over the years?
About 56. Don't think it changed before the Phazer III.

There were a few minor changes to the Phazer I. Some I can think of right now were the engine cooling air intake shroud mounting, the track suspension front wheel assembly, clutch slider material. The brake pad material changed at some point, I think with the Phazer I. There likely were others. These are all minor changes and mainly for reliability, but for the sake of history they were changes.

Some more Phazer II changes:
  • The skis were heavier-stronger.
  • The electrical system was different with a different stator plate assembly that generated 200 watts compared to the PZ I 150 watts, different wiring harness, different voltage regulator and rectifier, battery mounting plate, flywheel.
  • The handlebars were about one inch wider.
  • Shorter windshield
  • Beyond the front stance being wider, the strut assemblies were different with smaller diameter tubes and the knee joints in front. I have an idea that the travel was longer too - anybody know for sure?
  • With the longer tunnel the rear compartment in the seat was larger, but the seating area was the same size.
  • More venting in the footwell area to lower underhood temps.
  • Self adjusting brake.
  • The suspension rail channel and hyfax profiles were different.
  • The deep snow block off door in the front of the hood changed from an over-center spring operation to slots with thumb screws.
  • Different throttle block
  • I think that the hand warmer output was raised on the electric start models and hand and thumb warmers were added to the manual start model.

• The carbs were changed at some point in the 90's to cure the lean off-idle condition.
  • A wider, longer belt went with the clutch changes.

BIR- the 1996 has the wide ski stance, I think that was the first year. The 96 was still called Phazer II.

Last edited:
Look up the part numbers here on the home page in the Yamaha parts listings for both sleds. If the numbers are the same, the coils are the same.

Anyone have any thoughts on where to start with hand warmers that are not working on my son's Phazer II?

minnewawa said:
Anyone have any thoughts on where to start with hand warmers that are not working on my son's Phazer II?

There is a wiring diagram in the operators manual if you have one. Use a test light or voltmeter and check for juice where the wires come from the flywheel housing and continue down the line - with the engine running. The grips are wired in series- an open circuit in one will stop both from working. There is a seperate generating coil for the warmers. For resistance specs for the coil and grips, someone here can link you to an online service manual.

Back