phazer/VMAX carbs

big-kid

just wondering what year VMAX 500/600 carbs you guys are runnung on the phazer 485. thanks....

Ues the 36mm carbs and boots of a 600 sx. That way you can still ues the boost bottle. If you can get the throtle block and cables. I dont no how to hook the oil pump up as I removed mine. A cable extnsion might work on the stock cable but in not shure if that would be long enuf.

Hi,
I am doing the same mod to a 1990 phazer using 600SX carbs off a 98 I believe.

The carbs came with 151.5 mains and I have an aaen pipe, and reeds, and bored to 505cc (if memory serves- I modded this think like 16years ago) so I am hoping they will be close if not a little rich, At which point I am going to gut the airbox or jet down.
I understand the flatslides should work with pretty much the same jetting your phazer originally used.

I haven't completed the install yet, but ran into the same oil pump cable problem. edit: ( Finished the install last night.)

My carbs came with the sx600 intake boots and boost bottle, but I am just re using the stockers. I can't see how to fit the larger 600 boost bottle in the phazer, so I just used the stock boots and bottle. Carbs bolted right in.

I purchased an oil pump cable from a 1990 exciter and it appears that it will work fine with the throttle block/ assembly from the vmax 600 that I bought at the same time. The cable from the 1990 exciter was perfect for the Vmax throttle assembly.
Just don't follow the 'exciter' oil pump cable adjustment in the manaul.

What I did was take the oil pump cover off and mark where the pump sits at idle (with the original cable hooked to the original carbs (and adjusted to phazer spec). Then mark where the pump sits at WOT.
With the exciter cable installed and the adjuster fully screwed in (shortest adjuster size), the pump now sits just ever so slightly richer at Idle and WOT.
I mean almost the same as stock phazer set up. I can always live with this as more oil lets me relax. The cable throw is now basically identical to the stock set up with original carbs and oil pump cable, so I am happy.

The Stock Vmax 600 choke cable that came with the carbs was Just a tiny bit too short to mount the choke in the factory location, no matter how I routed it, so I had to make a cable. Wasn't hard as I have tons of cables for pitbikes in my shop, but without making a cable you could possibly mount the choke in a different location, but I don't know where to suggest.

I should mention that this project is just an attempt to eliminate the mid range lean/ bog that my machine has experienced since day one.
The air jets and main nozzles are a pain to install and the vmax carbs, complete off ebay were about the same price as the required jets!

Now its just time to fire it up and see how close the jetting is!

Last edited:

Back