LED Tail Light on old sleds

Vmax540

VIP Member
Website
vintagevmax.com
Anyone ever use a LED (dc) bulb in an older sled which uses a 1157 style (ac) bulb ? If so, which one or do you have a part# or a link to a site ? Thanks !

Talk to the guy (forget his name, sorry) at Bluhm Enterprises, he makes very nice ones and is very sled knowledgeable.

His name is Kevin.

Last edited:
Thanks guys ! Here are the E-mail's and the response's from Kevin at Bluh enterprise on using LED tailights which should resolve the head light dimming when the brake light is on.

Hello, Kevin

We would like to find a LED (direct current ?) bulb that we can use in an older sled's. The 1983 -91 Yamaha Vmax 540's use a 1157 style (ac) bulb ? Do you have a part# or a link to the bulb on your site ? I would gladly put your link on my web site if you can help us ?
Thank you !
Chuck Schettler

Chuck, I have a good stock 1157 LED replacement that will function the same as the stock bulb but take much less power. They are our 360 degree LEDs and we have them in several varities for different applications. For most sleds, a 1157 LED in RED is the best light.

Here is a link:

http://www.bluhmenterprises.com/products/moto-brite-lites.php?pn_category_id
=29

We also have a add-on LED taillight we offer that is very popular for snowmobiles and vintage racers. We have 3 different sizes from 4", 5" to 13.5" long units. All are 3 wire and simple installation.

http://www.bluhmenterprises.com/products/moto-brite-lites.php?pn_category_id
=87

Let me know if there is anything else.

thanks, Kevin Bluhm-owner
Bluhm Enterprises

Do I understand correctly that all your LED Bulbs with 1157 in the part number will work on AC systems ?

Thanks again !
Chuck S.

Chuck, pretty close. The one to watch out for is the 1157 rotating & pulsating LED. It is a special deal and needs a 4 stroke engine to operate correctly in most cases. It does work on some of the Yamahas with electric start standard, but not many. I typically tell folks it is a 4 stroke application only, like the RX-1 or Warrior.

Kevin

Back